Trailing sockets that will accept Sennheiser minijacks

Stuart91

I'm currently wrestling with a project, trying to get some inline mute switches built for Sennheiser Evolution radio systems. (More on that later potentially - it's turned into a real headache)

The switch circuitry is mounted in a small project box, with trailing cables. One cable has a minijack plug, for connection to the pack, and the other a trailing socket which the microphone connects to.

We bought a batch of these but whilst they mate satisfactorily with the corresponding plugs, we are having real bother getting the moulded plugs on the mics to tighten onto them properly. We seem to always end up with a couple of threads worth of a gap, and I'm not convinced that it's making the electrical connection properly. And that's with me taking my time to try and get everything in place properly, I can't imagine the end users being as careful and foresee lots of future complaints.

I suppose one option might be to buy some of the replacement jack sockets for the bodypacks, and fit them onto the switch box, but I'd really prefer something that can cable mount. Has anyone come across anything suitable?

I haven't had any issues with those locking jack sockets. They're a monacor product. Or at least, they used to be unless they've been copied now but they've always been listed as unbranded. I have plugged in stock Me2 / Mke 2 plugs and plugs from the CPC headsets along with the replacement plugs that you link to* and never noticed this to be an issue. Certainly not had any audible effects even if it appear there is some thread left.

*I guess given that you're having issues, then the fact its a different brand doesn't necessarily make it a corresponding plug but I understand what you mean. They should all fit and be the same.

In any case, I'd not be relying on the original plugs too much so I'd be wanting to replace them with the plugs you link to as soon as possible. Have a play with heatshrink and sleeving to get a nice secure fit into the plug and they'll last much longer.

The EW300 G3 packs have a remote mute socket. The original Senheiser ones are frightfully expensive but I am led to believe its nothing special so any switch should be ok to insert here which if you were using these packs. I'd be slightly wary of an inline switch with the mic, it might be noisy with the 5v bias voltage though it.

Rob

I haven't had any issues with those locking jack sockets. They're a monacor product. Or at least, they used to be unless they've been copied now but they've always been listed as unbranded.

Yes, that's the one. Mine are in Monacor branded packets.

I have plugged in stock Me2 / Mke 2 plugs and plugs from the CPC headsets along with the replacement plugs that you link to* and never noticed this to be an issue. Certainly not had any audible effects even if it appear there is some thread left.

Good to know. It may be that I'm barking up the wrong tree, but there's definitely a difference in how the two kinds of jack mate. I'll try and investigate further. We are having a few issues with the switches themselves which had made me suspicious of the connection.

The EW300 G3 packs have a remote mute socket. The original Senheiser ones are frightfully expensive but I am led to believe its nothing special so any switch should be ok to insert here which if you were using these packs. I'd be slightly wary of an inline switch with the mic, it might be noisy with the 5v bias voltage though it.

I've investigated the remote mute previously. Unfortunately it won't work for this application, because the users are adamant that they need to have a toggle that they can feel, so they know when the mic is live by the position of the switch. The remote mute doesn't allow for that functionality, it's a push to mute, push again to unmute, system. Really irritating because otherwise this would have saved us a lot of bother.

Archived