rock concert

napster

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I'd say that really depends on 1) Whether you have or can afford to buy/hire the nescessary equipment and 2) Whether you want to create effects which can be achieved using DMX capabilities or are happy with the effects which generic lights can achieve

Guest AdamJames

I personally would always go DMX.

Then its 'standard' incase you want to hire anything else in.

Hi,

I don't quite understand what you mean by "DMX rig" does that imply moving heads / moving mirrors or just running DMX cables to the dimmer racks?

If you can get back to us with more information, I am sure we can be of some help

HTH

Nick

Hi,

Life is sometimes made a lot easier when doing these types of events if you keep most of the rig generic ( that means normal lanterns etc)

remember that fast flashing of lanterns can distract the audience from the band that are playing.

I would imagine that you will be running this show " on the fly" so you wont really have time to program?

What kind of desk will you be running this from?

HTH

Nick

I have not decied on a exact desk yet I hav found 2 desk that could be good:

The freekie by martin

or

Tiger by chauvet

If I have a full generic rig I was thinking of using a

dmx40 by chauvet which would control a HP 12 by Jands

does this help?

Thanks

Iain

Don't have much equipment at the mo we have only got:

8 par 56's

2 t-bar stands

1 CT 4003 4 Ch Chase Controller

(looking for some floor cans but cant find any)

have done some stuff with DMX but I used my mates equipment but he has sold it all sadly.

hope this is all right

Iain

Wit 2 t-bar stands you're limited to a very small number of lights (I'm assuming here that you don't have any bars etc... above the stage or FOH to rig from), and you should have more than enough with the par 56s.

I am 1 of the Executive Producers for a concert called MAD in September. We are using normal Analog dimmer packs and PAR lights but running them into a demux so we can control via a DMX control desk.

We have choosen Blues & Greens and using some floods on stage with other colours to create 'bursts' of light to change the colour of the stage.

Using full overhead lighting bars already installed - I am also thinking of putting 2 moving heads eiether side of the stage for other effects in the Auditorium - I am also Lighting Manager!

OK, I think you are getting a little confused; DMX is the modern protocol for controlling dimmers, intelligent lighting, smoke machines and other similar equipment that is DMX compatable. So when you say shall I have a DMX rig its like posting in a Car forum; Shall I get a car? when really what you want to ask is What Car Shall I get. I hope this is clear but I can't think of a clearer analogy at the moment.

So getting down to the question I think you meant to ask; Shall I get some DMX effects equipment? Well it depends, but judging on what you have said you have got already I would say no. Spend it on generics, a hazer, extra dimming and rigging equipment if needed, a desk, gell etc.

I would have a search of the forum If I were you, there are two excellent threads (that I can't be bothered to find right now) all about lighting a rock concert (one started by DSA the other by me).

I hope I have made it a bit clearer for you now.

Sam

PS-

can also get hold of 2 4m pieces of truss but would have to hang these straight off the roof.

I hate to sound like the person who always says "If you don't know get a competent person to do it etc. etc." but I will say this may not be as easy to do (safely that is) as you think!

Cool immediatly you've opened up your scope by providing a FOH (front of house) truss and a backlight truss. You can use your 2 t-bar stands to do either 3/4 backlight or sidelighting. Get some proper dimmers and a small generic desk that you can either do subs or chases on and bingo you have a small basic rock concert lighting rig.

Lanterns to put on your front of house truss again either some Par 56s or depending on the size of the venue PAR 64s with a basic colour wash.

Also you might wanna have some profiles focused onto your band just to pick them out.

Backlight bar again 56s or 64s with a contrasting colour to your sidelight bars.

Hope that helps.

I am 1 of the Executive Producers for a concert called MAD in September. We are using normal Analog dimmer packs and PAR lights but running them into a demux so we can control via a DMX control desk.

We have choosen Blues & Greens and using some floods on stage with other colours to create 'bursts' of light to change the colour of the stage.

Using full overhead lighting bars already installed - I am also thinking of putting 2 moving heads eiether side of the stage for other effects in the Auditorium - I am also Lighting Manager

What sort of music is being played at the concert.

(no it comes off the point but just wondered)

Archived