PULSE ASM5D and Behringer B205D

richardash1981

Is is just me or is one a clone of the other, almost down to the shape of the curves?

http://cpc.farnell.c...crfnonsku=false

https://www.music-gr...s/B205D/p/P0957

The CPC price on the Pulse one seems to be good at the moment compared to other outlets.

More to the point, has anyone used either and what do you make of them? On one side, it's an impressive spec for the size and price, but I can't help wondering if the 5" full-range driver is really up to the job?

The intended application would be sound for playing video from a laptop and projector. Room sizes ranging from medium classroom to small hall, but not expecting cinema grade sound. Mic inputs not essential but I can see them getting used on odd occasions (like Christmas carols down the pub, where it would need to also carry the keyboard sound).

More to the point, has anyone used either and what do you make of them? On one side, it's an impressive spec for the size and price, but I can't help wondering if the 5" full-range driver is really up to the job?

The intended application would be sound for playing video from a laptop and projector. Room sizes ranging from medium classroom to small hall, but not expecting cinema grade sound. Mic inputs not essential but I can see them getting used on odd occasions (like Christmas carols down the pub, where it would need to also carry the keyboard sound).

We use the Behringer ones as close-in personal monitors at church. They are only little, and you don't get much bass response from them (as you'd expect with a 5" driver). They do go loud but they are quite "honky" when loud. I do not think they would be suitable your proposed usage. A small classroom or meeting room would be the maximum I would try to do with them.

Yes I think the Mackie was the original product which was copied by Behringer.

There is a good review of the Mackie one here

http://www.soundonso...s/mackie-srm150

Thanks for the review - certainly makes the Makie sound worth having. The Stellar Labs one is obviosuly the same hardware as the Pulse branded differently - I've been seeing their ultra-cheap microphones in CPC's clearance recently. The reviewer there seems to like theirs! It all comes down to the quality of a second generation copy really ...

We've got some similar but alternative branded ones and we're quite loud on stage - the guitar and keys players like them, and they are loud enough - they just can't manage the bass guitar and the kick and lower toms if they are in the mix. other than that, we quite like them.

• 3 months later...

Archived