Line6 Wireless Mics & Wireless DMX

boswell

Anyone had any experience of using Line6 radio mics on the same stage as wireless DMX receivers?

Just concerned that the close proximity of 12 mic beltpack TXs may scramble the DMX receiver.

We will have 12 Line6 beltpacks on stage,(they all channel hop over 4 random channels), one DMX receiver will be on stage, DMX TX in the wings.

The DMX won't be mission critical but will it make a good attempt.?

If the DMX is a bit slow in responding, we can accept that.

Anyone had any experience of using Line6 radio mics on the same stage as wireless DMX receivers?

Just concerned that the close proximity of 12 mic beltpack TXs may scramble the DMX receiver.

We will have 12 Line6 beltpacks on stage,(they all channel hop over 4 random channels), one DMX receiver will be on stage, DMX TX in the wings.

The DMX won't be mission critical but will it make a good attempt.?

If the DMX is a bit slow in responding, we can accept that.

I used to use a RC4 Magic Series 2 system on a stage with 12 XD-V70 belt pack TX, so the older more robust RF1 mode. The 4 x RC4 dimmers were generally around ground level on trucked scenery items which could be anywhere on a 10mx10m stage. TX in wings around 2m high, radio mic antennas were the line6 omnis mounted about 3m on stage each side about 6m high midway upstage.

We had absolutely no problems, except the occasional unproven feeling that the wireless dimmers were a tough slower than normal to respond, but if they were it was nearly noticeable. The radio mics were totally unaffected.

My half a dozen line 6 handhelds on the older unfriendly bombproof channels kill internet access locally, they stop me accessing the Magicq network and make an iPad trying to run an x32 risky. Not tried a wireless DMX system, but can't see any reason it would be less immune.

Distance seems to be important here. I can't operate my iPad while talking into a Line 6 handheld (on the old system like Paul) while setting up, but get a couple of meters away and it's fine. Switching to the newer Line 6 settings will usually solve this, but at the expense of making the mic less reliable.

My spinning wheel has a wireless DMX link for the LED pixels. It was used onstage alongside my rack of 8 Line6 XD-V70 (older "we hate wifi" type) and I didn't have any problems.

I was also operating a Spektrum DX7 2.4GHz radio control system for the animatronic raven that I'd built and again there were no problems at all.

The wireless DMX units were the el-cheapo Chinese ones.

Thanks for the replies, I'll get a China Export 2.4Ghz system, 2 channel and see how it goes, if it fails it can be quickly swapped for a 40Mhz system, Got until December to sort it out! (Panto Time)

• 5 months later...

Update,

Works fine with 12 Line 6 on the old RF1 setup. Just a bit iffy if a Line 6 TX gets very close to the DMX RX, less than about 2ft seems to cause problems to the DMX, luckily the cast members close to the DMX RX are all using UHF mics!

Archived