XLR Tester

3guk

Guys,

I rembember a few years ago finding a site where I could but XLR testers that tested if a cable was working by using phantom power.

Does anyone know of the site that sells them as I have lost mine. It was called a rat I think or something like that.

I am pretty handy with a solding iron and if anyone could show me a schematic I would also be prepared to make one.

Thanks

Guest AdamJames

Can you not buy a chassis female, chassis male.

Use a 9V battery, split it over 3 ways, but use push switches in each split.

Connect each battery split to the pins on one connector. Then on other chassis connector, solder an led to each leg, then connect it back to the battery.

B+---------/_-----------XLRM GND (XLR cable) XLRF---------LED-----B-

B+---------/_-----------XLRM Pin1 (XLR cable) XLRF---------LED-----B-

B+---------/_-----------XLRM Pin2 (XLR cable) XLRF---------LED-----B-

Make sense?

An led with a 6k8 resistor between XLR pin 1 ( -ve ) and XLR pin 2 ( +ve ) with the same between pin 1 and pin 3 does the trick. Use 2mm Leds and sleeve the connections. Both leds light if circuit ok, one only if pins 2 or 3 faulty, neither light if pin 1 not connected or all pins shorted. It will not show a short between 2 and 3 or a phase reversal.

Brian

Does anyone know of the site that sells them as I have lost mine. It was called a rat I think or something like that.

The nice people at Rat Sound sell the Rat Sniffer and Sender which I think is what you're looking for.

(Incidentally, has anyone come across any of the Rat/Radian Microwedges in UK venues? I'm really curious to see how the sound.)

I saw the radian wedges that dave rat designed at the AC Trade show I believe that Fusion distrubute them sadly I didn't get to hear them altho id love to they are meant to sound really good apprantly quite hifi was the description I got from a guy I no who used them!!

Isnt the CT100 more of a box rather than a pocket tester?

Anyone know where I can buy the rat in the uk ?

Moderation - yet another pointless double post merged into one. How much longer is it going to take for this to sink in? :stagecrew:

Archived