4 x 802c

Ian Lawrence

Hello. Can anyone adise...? I have 4x 802c. I only have (as far as I can see) inputs in to the rear of the speakers... However the 802c controller says I can just daisy chain them ? IE Connect into back and then take a lead out of the other port into the other speaker...Surely this wrong as they are both inputs...Do I need a second output from my amp to supply the second set?

Thank you

Hello. Can anyone adise...? I have 4x 802c. I only have (as far as I can see) inputs in to the rear of the speakers... However the 802c controller says I can just daisy chain them ? IE Connect into back and then take a lead out of the other port into the other speaker...Surely this wrong as they are both inputs...Do I need a second output from my amp to supply the second set?

Thank you

It sounds like you have MK 1 or MK II Bose 802 speakers. The two connections are just paralleled together with appropriate cables you can just loop out of the back on one speaker in to the next.

The reason you are confused is that the world used to use male XLRs on both amps and speakers for speaker connections with no gendering for input or output. Utterly stupid idea, you never reached round the back of an amp to feel for the connectors unless you actually liked shocks. However that was how it was until Neutrik invented the speakon connector. The 802 Series III had speakon.

We retrofitted our Series II units with speakon for sanity.

Thank you

It sounds like you have MK 1 or MK II Bose 802 speakers. The two connections are just paralleled together with appropriate cables you can just loop out of the back on one speaker in to the next.

The reason you are confused is that the world used to use male XLRs on both amps and speakers for speaker connections with no gendering for input or output. Utterly stupid idea, you never reached round the back of an amp to feel for the connectors unless you actually liked shocks. However that was how it was until Neutrik invented the speakon connector. The 802 Series III had speakon.

We retrofitted our Series II units with speakon for sanity.

Okay so are you saying I should have a lead that is spit into two out puts from my amp (would that not change impedance output) and just run separate cables to each of the four speakers?

Okay so are you saying I should have a lead that is spit into two out puts from my amp (would that not change impedance output) and just run separate cables to each of the four speakers?

Assuming your amp can handle a 4 ohm load, yes, but if you intend to use them as L-R pairs, it's much easier to run single cables, with a short female-female to link each pair.

He means you go to the first speaker then out of the 2nd connector on the speaker on to the next speaker. The 2 connectors on the speaker are effectively a Y-split.

You can go direct from the amp if you want but less cable is normally involved if you daisy chain the speakers.

Connecting 2 speakers does change the impedance but the amp will deal with it.

Thank you. So let me get this straight. 1/4 jack in to speaker and I plug in to other input hole to feed to other speaker. Or I can create a male with two female jacks ? Sorry to sound thick but I just couldn't get the daisy chain to work yesterday. Can't believe both leads and both connectors knackered ... But hey that's my luck....

1/4 jack in to speaker and I plug in to other input hole to feed to other speaker.

Yes. I take it from this your speakers are fitted with jacks so you just need a straight jack-jack lead to link a 2nd speaker.

Or I can create a male with two female jacks ?

Not sure what you mean by this.

When you say it didn't work, what happened? The first speaker working and the 2nd not? Or neither working?

It may be worth looking inside to check it's wired as it should be, i.e. both sockets connected to each other.

I've come across some 802s that we replaced/relocated in a club install, that had all been "modified" as a 4+4 configuration - presumably to make it a "stereo" cab. Don't know if this was ever a common thing to do?

1/4 jack in to speaker and I plug in to other input hole to feed to other speaker.

Yes. I take it from this your speakers are fitted with jacks so you just need a straight jack-jack lead to link a 2nd speaker.

Or I can create a male with two female jacks ?

Not sure what you mean by this.

When you say it didn't work, what happened? The first speaker working and the 2nd not? Or neither working?

Yes. I plugged into the left and took another from th right . The panel says they are both inputs however. The link failed to work

Yes. I plugged into the left and took another from th right . The panel says they are both inputs however. The link failed to work

Do not be afraid of the writing on the panel, they are just connected together so one can be used as a link output.

Why don't you plug a jack lead into each "input" then use a meter on the other end of the jacks to prove that the "inputs" are in fact both connected together. As Mark says it is not unknown for someone to have messed around with the wiring inside the cab.

Archived