LED Profiles

Ken Coker

Any recommendations for a reliable, medium priced LED profile? Something the equivalent of a SF Junior or Minuette profile. Church hall/amateur use.

Assuming you're thinking of white, not rgb mixing, this is something that I have also been looking at, I have a list of interesting fixtures but have not yet been able to see any of them in the flesh... if anyone has tried them I would be interested to hear reviews

this one is £569 (100W led)

http://lighthouseaudiovisual.co.uk/elumen8-pf-100-led-profile-ww-gobo-theatre-spot-116537-p.asp

this one is £457 (150W led)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/varytec_led_profile_150w_3200k.htm

Elation also do a source-4 lookalike "WW profile" but it is a lot more expensive at over £1000

I'd say that single-colour LED is unlikely to be suitable, as they gel funny (though Lee's special CL series help a lot on some fixtures), and are rather dim at the medium-low price end.

In almost all live production cases, you're better off with tungsten than white LED. Architectural and general lighting is a different matter of course.

The ETC ColorSource Spot is the LED "equivalent" of S4 jr.

Takes the exact same lens tubes as the Source Four Tungsten and LED.

I'd say that single-colour LED is unlikely to be suitable, as they gel funny (though Lee's special CL series help a lot on some fixtures), and are rather dim at the medium-low price end.

In almost all live production cases, you're better off with tungsten than white LED. Architectural and general lighting is a different matter of course.

I dunno about this, for village hall type use the 80% power reduction is often very useful if everything is running from 13A sockets. And most profiles in such shows just run in open white, though I agree about the colour rendering.

Assuming the much higher purchase price is a possibility of course.

1465903262[/url]' post='539674']

http://www.thomann.d..._150w_3200k.htm

Elation also do a source-4 lookalike "WW profile" but it is a lot more expensive at over £1000

Yes...been looking at that; 2700 Lux at 4 metre. There's a ChauvetDJ profile which is cheap, but the photometrics are not great..https://www.chauvetdj.com/products/eve-e-100z/

There's a Prolights fixture that's hove into view and I'm just getting a price on it.

KC

I am surprised no-one has mentioned ETC's Source 4WRD which retrofits a (tungsten white) LED lamp into a conventional S4 (but doesn't fit a Jnr) and is said to be as bright as a 575W S4. You might be able to get the S4 bodies fairly cheaply second hand, the 4WRD is about £700 I believe. Tomo can probably fill in the gaps.

At my tiny theatre we use the Philips Selecon PLPROFILE1 which is 4 colour and probably a bit cheaper than most of the other reputable brands, with output similar to a 500W Acclaim profile (with which it shares lenses). Stone cold operation and projects acetate gobos no problem.

Whichever ones you like the look of on paper, assuming you are thinking of buying multiple units, get in touch with your local supplier to bring some lanterns down to do a demo on-site, or at their premises if that is not convenient and judge for yourself. Also be clear if you want natural white light and/or colours as it makes a difference to the choices as a church probably would want white but "amateur" suggests a second use of the same units which probably would be better with colour?

I've seen and plan on using ColorSource Spots for one of my upcoming shows. They are very very impressive for the price, brighter than the Lustr Series 2, although less subtle. They go for about £730 online (http://shopwl.com/colorsource-ce-spot-light-engine-xlr-black/) without a lens tube, although I imagine they'd be significantly less if ordering larger quantities from your dealer.

I am surprised no-one has mentioned ETC's Source 4WRD which retrofits a (tungsten white) LED lamp into a conventional S4 (but doesn't fit a Jnr) and is said to be as bright as a 575W S4. You might be able to get the S4 bodies fairly cheaply second hand, the 4WRD is about £700 I believe. Tomo can probably fill in the gaps.

We see Source 4WRD as primarily architectural - as mentioned above, I don't really see "just white" LED as being generally suitable for theatrical use.

Obviously there are exceptions and most of you can come up with a situation where "just white" is perfect!

At present the Source 4WRD is only available in a 110/120V UL version for US, Canada etc. Obviously a 230/240V CE version will come as well.

Any recommendations for a reliable, medium priced LED profile? Something the equivalent of a SF Junior or Minuette profile. Church hall/amateur use.

Assuming you're thinking of white, not rgb mixing, this is something that I have also been looking at, I have a list of interesting fixtures but have not yet been able to see any of them in the flesh... if anyone has tried them I would be interested to hear reviews

this one is £569 (100W led)

http://lighthouseaud...ot-116537-p.asp

http://www.thomann.d..._150w_3200k.htm

Hi Tim we have just used the Elation Source 4 lookalike on a ship, I don't know the exact model but ours had RGB mixing, We removed several ETC profiles and replaced with the Elation model, on programming we discovered they were so powerful we had to under run them at only 10%. I think we removed 60 wash and profiles, and replaced with just 16 profiles, We could have probably got away with 8.

I have to say they are expensive $2000 (approx.) but they do have an Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. factor. And saturated colours were amazing.

Hi Tim we have just used the Elation Source 4 lookalike on a ship, I don't know the exact model but ours had RGB mixing, We removed several ETC profiles and replaced with the Elation model, on programming we discovered they were so powerful we had to under run them at only 10%. I think we removed 60 wash and profiles, and replaced with just 16 profiles, We could have probably got away with 8.

I have to say they are expensive $2000 (approx.) but they do have an Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. factor. And saturated colours were amazing.

What was the dimming like at 10% then? Some units I've used are very steppy down at that level so even a very small change in the brightness level drastically changes the colour.

What was the dimming like at 10% then? Some units I've used are very steppy down at that level so even a very small change in the brightness level drastically changes the colour.

The dimming was very smooth Elation have excelled themselves on this one. The only downside is the shadow has a rainbow effect due to the multiple emitters, not horribly noticeable, but noticeable.

Archived