Unmanaged gigabit switch with ethercon

James Remo

So, I own several, and am happy to fork out the £1200 for a luminex gigacore 12, but considering you can buy cheap network switches for pennies these days, I'm looking for a bunch of cheap rackmount gigabit network switches with ethercon sockets on them. Yes, I could re-box a cheap switch, yes I could use a patch bay, but I'd rather have the network activity indicators by the actual sockets I'm using, and a 240v IEC / powercon in - not a wall wart. Does anyone know of a source of cheap (And by cheap I mean sub £200, I'm not a total miser) ethercon gigabit network switches that meet my requirements?

The only unmanaged switch I can think of is dmXLAN DLN5DC from ELC - It is certainly not cheap and it is only 10/100.

I think because you are looking at over £100 in connectors just to service a 12 port switch its marketshare would be limited and I don't know if they would sell in the thousands to make it viable.

For AU$60 I can buy a rack mount 12 port PoE gigabit switch. 12 connectors would cost me $252 list, and a pre-punched plate would cost me $30 - $60 if I need an enclosure because I don't want to rack mount. Patch cat5 cables would cost me a few cents each. A few consumables, and I have change from AU$360 - and I can guarantee small-run ethernet switch PCBs with custom spacing for ethercons would not have the price/scale advantage of production that would make getting anywhere near that figure possible.

I don't think the space is there for gigabit - generally I would expect perhaps gigabit from a console to a 'primary' switch (which would probably benefit from being managed and having QoS and vlans) which would deal with lines to things like MA NPU's and media servers - often that would not require ethercon as these items often end up racked together and then that switch doing off-shoots to smaller switches for distribution to truss lines etc - high chance that 100mbit would be more than enough -which is where the dmxLan comes in.

II think when you are getting to a scale of show where you are looking to need multiple 12+ port gigabit switches which need ethercon you are possibly looking at a show where you are needing to use managed switches purely to manage the amount of data you are throwing down this pipe. Even at a DIY price point you are already at for an unmanaged 12port switch with ethercons (about the cost of a regular L3 managed 12 port switch or 5 unmanaged switches) you start to loose out to the tight-pocket brigade.

Archived