Red5 RVD30

savage1

Don't know if anybody else has had this issue: While taking the grill of one of my rvd30s I was rather surprised when the mic capsule came off with the grill. Upon further inspection it turned out that the foam inside the grill had basically glued itself to the capsule, which duly unscrewed snapping the 2 wires. Has this happened to anybody else?

on a related note does anybody know how the plastic mounting piece for the capsule is held on, it doesn't seem to be threaded and I don't fancy forcing it to discover its glued on.

Upon further inspection it turned out that the foam inside the grill had basically glued itself to the capsule, which duly unscrewed snapping the 2 wires. Has this happened to anybody else?

I've had it happen with some cheap Sennheiser lookalikes. I treated them as disposable after the first one.

I really rate these mics for the money and have 8 or 9 of them (plus some of their drum mics) but again for the money, you should probably treat as disposable.

the following is both a story and a 'how to'.

I had one come back from a 'loan' with the grub screw missing completely at the base and I couldn't work out how to get the xlr connection out to find the thread size - I ended up stripping out everything and ruining the mic - but my pain is your gain. below is a photo after the cage is removed.

the silver capsule cover doesn't remove easily - it's got a few dabs of glue that hold it permanently in place.

you can see the capsule base in the photo - it should have wires leading to the xlr but they broke easily when trying to remove the capsule.

the capsule itself is held into the aluminium body with a rubber washer affair which you can see a third of the way from the bottom of the capsule and which is a tight fit to the capsule base but can move up and down. it's this rubber washer that 'wedges' in the throat of the body to both suspend the capsule and hold it in place.

within the throat of the body is a black plastic liner which is glued in place (I think) - the rubber washer sits into this.

the cage foam is not usually glued to the capsule but it is usually stuck to the cage.

I remove the foam and grille and often clean both together without separating - but I don't clean often - these mics do get used for vocal duty in challenging environments - they are my go to for anti feedback. that said they spend most of their lives in use as an sm57 substitute - they work far better than a 57 in my opinion and sound great on brass in particular.

my own feeling is that if you end to strip it down, it probably isn't going to go back together so you should get another and use it for parts. Red5 are great mics for the money but their stock levels are erratic at best and a colleague has been trying to chase up replacement baskets for about 6 weeks now and they rarely answer the phone at all. - odd because their phone response used to be great.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/hdtomlinson/IMAG0126_zpsfo4k1oxy.jpg

Archived