EV ELX 215s or Martin Audio F10+ - has anybody used these?

natjones

Hello all

I'm fitting out one of the rehearsal spaces at work with a new sound system; it will mostly be used for dance classes, so the PA is primarily for playback. I'm looking for passive, full range speakers - I've had the Martin F10+s recommended to me, but they might be a little excessive. I'm considering going with some EV kit, as I've used the ZLX 15 inch passives and actives before at another venue, and they worked pretty well for the 300 seater auditorium there.

Has anybody used the EV ELX215 speakers? Any comments about them, or comparisons to the Martins? I've not used any Martin Audio kit, so have no grounds for comparison myself... forgive me - I'm primarily a lampy.

I'm not sure how you can compare a 10" cab with a dual 15" cab? I have some F12s and F8s, but not F10s although they are of course all the same family. They're great. I much prefer the sound of Martin cabs in general to EV - I think it's a British / American voicing thing. F10s I suspect wouldn't be ideal for a dance studio though. I'd be looking at 12" drivers at a minimum.

I'm not sure how you can compare a 10" cab with a dual 15" cab? I have some F12s and F8s, but not F10s although they are of course all the same family. They're great. I much prefer the sound of Martin cabs in general to EV - I think it's a British / American voicing thing. F10s I suspect wouldn't be ideal for a dance studio though. I'd be looking at 12" drivers at a minimum.

The F10s were recommended by another university who have them in their dance studios, which are about the same size as ours... I'm trying to justify the difference in cost, as getting the EVs means that we'll be able to get a bit of extra kit with our budget

How big is the space? ELX Series may be overkill for what you're after.

The space is 11m by 9m, with 4m height. I originally spec'ed for the EV ZLX 15s, but was trying to find something that might might be between that and the F10's in terms of quality. Having had a bit more of a look, though, it doesn't seem like the ELXs have brackets available, which might be an issue as we'd want to wall mount them out of reach of those pesky dancers.

If this is only a rehearsal space ie no public performances I'd go with the ZLX. Plenty loud enough for that size room and very easy to wall mount. The Martin Audio F Family will sound nicer but being wood cabs they are significantly heavier too!

I notice the zlx mentioned above - they should scrape by with high volume playback but I have found them to run out of steam pretty quickly for live work - my best guess would that the elx will give you more head room with a good amp match - it's certainly got a higher nominal rating. to be fair, I should say the zlx units I have used are the powered versions.

Archived