Playback Rack spec up

toby

Hi chaps and chapesses,

I hope your all well, Just thought id run something past you all - building a playback rack for an upcoming tour -

2 projectors running different videos simultaneously 1920x1080 each - main back up set up - I was thinking qlab running on 2 mac pro towers refurbed from macbank. output a from each machine into a 2 x 1 switcher, output b doing the same with output c from each being local monitor's for control.

The videos need to run full HD hence towers over mac minis - The projection is the show so of course vital to be reliable but on a realistic budget.

with triggering done maybe over midi between the machines?

open to other options and any tips on mac pro tower racking wouldnt go a miss,

thanks in advance

t

One Mac mini running Q-Lab with a HDMi > DVI converter, run that through a DVI dual head, and assign each projector as a screen on Q-Lab will probably do it. You can use a Mac Pro if you want but as long as that is all the Mac is doing it should work okay. I'd find a way to test your content output to two HD screens first though, just in case.

thanks adam, Sadly with the size of the files and various conversations with people my gut is to go with towers, but interesting none the less, I think I sometimes underestimate/forget how powerful qlab can be also.

I currently have Qlab 3 running 4 outputs + monitor (5 total outputs) from a refurbished mac from macbank specs are:

Nvidia GTX 970 (GB)2TB32GB480GB SSD

Not had any problems yet using it

It is also playing audio as well a triggering the lighting desk via midi

• 1 month later...

We have had good success with refurbed i7 mac minis in the sonnet rack mini mount 1U.

They then run into a matrix, and all triggerd by USB to Midi through Qlab. I also have a midi to RS232 for the matrix switch for the backup/switching.

For playback without any video geometry changers we run VVTR on the mac minis.

• 5 weeks later...

Get a matrix switcher big enough to run all your inputs and outputs through - this will let you check the projector outputs on the local monitor and save loads of cocking about.

An i7 mac mini with SSD running qlab will be fine for 2 outputs - a tower will be more convenient if you are expecting to do changes on the road as you can easily have 3 outputs - but the rack will end up being large which might make things difficult in small venues. The cheapest Mac Pro dustbin will be absolutely OK for dual output qlab which is the best size / performance ratio.

Archived