Showtec Phantom range of fixtures

DarkDerp

Hi all,

Have any of you used or seen the Showtec Phantom spots? Specifically the 75 version. It's an LED fixture, and looks pretty good, especially for the money, but only seems to be at Thomann

There don't seem to be any reviews around, so if anyone's got anything to say about them, fire away!

Thanks,

DarkDerp

One of a production company I work with has bought 12 of those - and I think there're a great fixture for the money.

They dont have iris but do have remote focus, easily changeable rot. gobos, colour wheel / spin, gobo spin etc. and prism! Nice and bright output. Very good value for the money and decent build quality. Recommended for a great fixture on a tight budget.

We've had 4 for the last couple of years. Bought from Thomann with flightcases. They are reliable units, bright and effective for what we need. My only criticism, perhaps unfairly is the beam angle. One of our venues has lighting bars at about 4m. The beam is a little narrow for that height. Agree they are good fixture on a tight budget.

We bought 2 of the Phantom 50s, and have been very happy with them I would say that they are 'rather similar' to Chauvet's Intimidator Spots (the DMX allocation differs slightly, but not too much else), which we also have, and they both perform very well for us - worth checking if the Chauvet is cheaper, think they're much of a muchness and the last ones we bought were Chauvets, which were cheaper at that time.

I'm an ex-Showtec dealer, the 75 is the best in the bunch IMO.

Went to Plasa and tested them side by side (50, 75 and 140) and bang for buck, the 75 is the best. The 50 has a plastic build, whereas the 75 is a little more rubberised. I'm happy putting a 75 directly on the floor whereas a 50 I'd be concerned. The 140 has all that, but to my eyes the 75 was just as bright...

The dimming curve is awful, so not great for theatre, but for gigs, discos or award presentations they're awesome!

(Should also point out the easy gobo change coupled with the remote focus makes it very easy to use as a gobo projector!)

Archived