Load testing

topsy100

Technically as a part of suspension system they will need inspection and certification, its an area that is often over looked, usually due to the amount of time many of these systems have been up as the were never marked with an SWL, people assume they don't need inspecting or they are just unaware that they form part of the lifting system, and in the eyes of the law ignorance is no defence.

I guess it has not been tested and tagged before as you are talking about doing a calculation, you probably should seek the advice of a qualified structural engineer you could be getting into some complex calculations and its not just the bar and fixings but what they are attached to that will need to be assessed and included in those calculations.

I am also assuming this is a fixed bar rather than on a winch or hoist, if there is a system to raise and lower the bar, then that will need regular testing and inspection under LOLER, where as a fixed point can have a longer period between inspections, but annual would be the norm. You can specify any time period between inspections, it can be whatever you like for example 'every five years as its only used once or twice a year', but if ever there was an incident then you have to be able to explain why you thought that a good idea at the time.

A good place to start would be to talk to the insurer and ask them what their minimum requirement would be, it could also open a whole can of worms that you wish had remained closed......

ontoprigger is 100% correct. Unfortunately insurance companies often arrange for inspections to be carried out, but they are often not to the kind of standard that I feel should be met in the entertainment industry. It ticks the boxes on the paperwork but realistically never points out mechanical issues or where improvements to the systems safety can be made, and bears no compliance to LOLER whatsoever. Fixed suspension bars do not come under LOLER, as pointed out but should equally be treated and inspected with the same respect. A competent Rigger and Lifting Equipment Engineer should be making an on-site assessment to determine the best course of action, and it shouldn't be left down to guesswork as to whether it is safe or does/doesnt need inspecting. I have walked into spaces on several occasions and seen absolutely shambolic rigging that is only apparent to a Rigger, whilst the venue is completely unaware of any issue being present. I have dropped you a private message in regards to this if I can be of any further help. Many Thanks.

Archived