Projector recommendations

drissa

Hi all. Apologies for a dull topic. I had a quick search, but couldn't see what I'm after.

I'm a film-maker and I've started to do quite a bit of work for small/mid-scale theatre. Although I understand this is usually a venue or hire company thing, I'm interested in exploring used projectors to own. Mainly for 'kind' environments - small/medium theatre spaces, low ambient light levels, etc. I'm not sure I need full HD, but something bright, preferably 16:9 and perhaps with swappable lenses. Getting wide enough in small venue seems to be the biggest challenge I've encountered so far.

Is there such a thing as a 'go-to' workhorse for small theatre that might be available for <£1000? I see the Panasonic PT-Dxxxxxxx range mentioned.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The Panasonics are a great work horse - for that budget you may be able to get a second hand PT-DZ6710 - 6000 lumens, 1920x1200 native res and takes the 'DLE' lenses - which are fairly common so you should be able to hire what you need when the standard lens does not work for you. Other model numbers to look out for are the DW5100 (5500 lumen, 1280x768), and DZ6300 (6000 lumen, 1280x768).

The Panasonics are a great work horse - for that budget you may be able to get a second hand PT-DZ6710 - 6000 lumens, 1920x1200 native res and takes the 'DLE' lenses - which are fairly common so you should be able to hire what you need when the standard lens does not work for you. Other model numbers to look out for are the DW5100 (5500 lumen, 1280x768), and DZ6300 (6000 lumen, 1280x768).

The other advantage of Panasonic is the lenses can be readily hired from places like Stage Sound Services.

Archived