I need some suggestions for a new lighting rig...

Darkfold

We are currently working on a educational discount program, which would allow schools to get huge discounts on our show controller. Nothing is official yet, but I thought I mention it here. We are also offering free evaluation units for 'legit' installations.

Let me know if you're interested in it.

Dan, perhaps I'm missing something but having looked at your website it looks to me as though your control system has no physical control surface whatsoever (looks like it's all click-and-drag on the PC screen). Are there any plans to release some sort of control 'wing' for your system, to bring it up to a par with other PC-based products like MagicQ, HogPC, etc.?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dan, perhaps I'm missing something but having looked at your website it looks to me as though your control system has no physical control surface whatsoever (looks like it's all click-and-drag on the PC screen). Are there any plans to release some sort of control 'wing' for your system, to bring it up to a par with other PC-based products like MagicQ, HogPC, etc.?

As you've noticed correctly it doesn't have any dedicated playback or programming wing as e.g. the HogPC has. This is actually not a drawback but a "feature". :) We have a DMX input which you can hook up ANY DMX console to control the 24 submasters, GM, recall presets, XY-Faders, play,stop, record.

That allows you to use a cheap $300 console and 'convert' it into a sophisticated moving light desk with 2048 channel (4 universe) output.

E.g. if you want to run a comparable show with a Hog2PC and buy all the extras you need then you would end up having to spend 16 Grand (US dollar) instead of 2 Grand for our system.

We also just added an Automation API which allows you to control all the functionality you can control through the DMX input via any third part application (running on the same computer).

Dan

We are currently working on a educational discount program, which would allow schools to get huge discounts on our show controller. Nothing is official yet, but I thought I mention it here. We are also offering free evaluation units for 'legit' installations.

Let me know if you're interested in it.

As I understood it (yes, I'm already playing with the X1 software) you were able to patch a desk in to the X1 hardware and use all the submasters etc on the desk and PC.

EDIT: n/m, beaten to it by seconds ^.^;

Your PC based software was the first thing that showed up when I went looking and I haven't found much that rivals or surpasses it. Obviously, until I get it working live, I won't know how each one works in a real situation.

Your PC based software was the first thing that showed up when I went looking and I haven't found much that rivals or surpasses it. Obviously, until I get it working live, I won't know how each one works in a real situation.

By the way, the system is already in use for some installations:

http://www.innovateshowcontrols.com/press_x1wins.php

But all of them are on the West Coast of the United States (with some installation currently under way in the New York area) and non of them are in the UK yet.

As I said we could Fed-Ex you a free unit and then you can try it 'live'. We had no client so far which was not impressed after seeing it live.

Dan

But all of them are on the West Coast of the United States (with some installation currently under way in the New York area) and non of them are in the UK yet.

As I said we could Fed-Ex you a free unit and then you can try it 'live'. We had no client so far which was not impressed after seeing it live.

Dan

O.O

you're kidding right? free unit to try out?

although I would need to get hold of one or two lights to try it out with, as I mentioned in the original thread I started with my predicament, this is all 25-30 year old equipment, therefore all analogue at the moment.

Dan

O.O

you're kidding right? free unit to try out?

although I would need to get hold of one or two lights to try it out with, as I mentioned in the original thread I started with my predicament, this is all 25-30 year old equipment, therefore all analogue at the moment.

No I'm not kidding. We shipped more than 20 units out there with customers trying it out 'for free'. As I mentioned, it has to be a 'legit' installation, meaning you would have to go through your school in order to ship it to the school, so that we know it's not just a private person. Go to our webpage and click on "About Us" and contact us so that we can send you an evaluation request form. You can also contact me directly, but I'm leaving on vacation soon, so an e-mail to our 'support' e-mail is the way to go :)

Btw., if anyone of you know a good dealer/distributor in the UK, then tell them to contact us. We are more than happy to send dealers/distributors a free evaluation unit as well. We already had a couple of customer requests for the UK but unfortunatelly have no dealers/distributors in the UK yet.

Dan

Moderation - yet another unnecessary double post merged into one. We've said it before (more times than we care to remember), and we'll say it again - if you post something to a topic, then decide you have something to add to it (we all occasionally forget things until just after we hit the 'submit post' button!), use the EDIT button to add the afterthought to your initial post - don't make another post to the same thread directly under your first one.

(Of course, if there's been a reply to your first post by the time you come back to add to it, this doesn't apply.)

Archived