Fixture Selection help

Ed Kaz

I have been doing boxing events for the last few years and would like to upgrade my fixtures...

What I have been using is Martin kryptons, Atomic 3000strobes and technobeams with a few coemar cf7's. We are in a new venue and would like a brighter (lamp)fixture the MSD250 lamps are not cutting It !

Looking at about 30'(9m)throw to ring.

Of course cost is always a issue...anyway has anyone used the Clay Paky Stagescans. I have found a few used in great condition !

Or try the Mac 2000's. Which would be brighter ? Or have more features. Is there anything else I should be looking at??. These fixtures would be for effect lighting only (ring<boxing round #> girl). The ring is lit with 36 ETC pars so looking for a big effect. Since Its not that critical to the event ...how are the Chinese fixtures ..or should I stay away ? We only do a few events a year and wonder if they would last ?

Thanks for any suggestions

Ed

Is a 15r lamp as bright as a MSD1200 lamp ???

How about something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-330w-15R-17R-Beam-Spot-Wash-3in1-stage-head-light-moving-head-light-w-case-/151932805136?hash=item235fe6a010:g:hEAAAOSw5IJWg0Wu

or is it junk ?

Thanks

ED

I'll leave recommendation of particular fixtures to those more knowledgeable, however would comment that those you have mentioned you are currently using are all industry standard fixtures... a reputation they've earned for their construction, reliability, accuracy, etc. The CP Stagescans are a big old beast, but again up there with the best.

It may be a sweepingly generic view, however in your position I'd avoid the "Chinese fixtures" you're looking at... you'll be underwhelmed and feel like you're playing with toys vs. the real deal. If you were using them at a disco, it matters not where the beams end up, however for your application, you need a similar level of accuracy as in theatre.

I've not really seen them compared to LED fixtures but I have used MAC2000 washes and profiles in a similar sort of throw range and they are very, very bright with all the filters out. They're slightly last generation now as well so you can pick them up at a fairly reasonable price - ours are ex-PRG.

I have always liked the Mac's

I have been using Highend Powerscans 250mr's (have about 20). Love them but need brighter !

The coemar cf7's are heavy(nothings light in lighting ...** laughs out loud **) and troublesome...

Thanks for the reply's...

Ed

I really wouldn't buy CP stage scans, they are very ancient (made in the 1990's) and even if they work now you will have trouble getting parts to keep them working. They are very limited in features compared to what you can get these days..

Mac2000's are more recent and a better bet.

Hi Ed

I would stay away from mac 2000's as they have a reputation of needing repair regularly. You'll probably find you'll struggle to get parts for the stagescans too and definately stay away from the Chinese knock off fixtures as you'll get no product support at all (if you're lucky enough to get fixtures that work in the first place). Have a look at the Elation stuff as you may be able to get something new within your budget. The 15R pro's are incredibly bright and have lots of functions. I'm a dealer but no good to you as we don't sell outside the UK.

hope this helps

Dan

I have been doing boxing events for the last few years and would like to upgrade my fixtures...

What I have been using is Martin kryptons, Atomic 3000strobes and technobeams with a few coemar cf7's. We are in a new venue and would like a brighter (lamp)fixture the MSD250 lamps are not cutting It !

Looking at about 30'(9m)throw to ring.

Of course cost is always a issue...anyway has anyone used the Clay Paky Stagescans. I have found a few used in great condition !

Or try the Mac 2000's. Which would be brighter ? Or have more features. Is there anything else I should be looking at??. These fixtures would be for effect lighting only (ring<boxing round #> girl). The ring is lit with 36 ETC pars so looking for a big effect. Since Its not that critical to the event ...how are the Chinese fixtures ..or should I stay away ? We only do a few events a year and wonder if they would last ?

Thanks for any suggestions

Ed

Is a 15r lamp as bright as a MSD1200 lamp ???

How about something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/...EAAAOSw5IJWg0Wu

or is it junk ?

Thanks

ED

Archived