Goliath Studio 3800 stands

lonemorf

Following my thread a year or so ago, I got a pair of stands to run rig off, but I now want to get more kit "in the air".

I know that there are some very reputable brands out there (doughty and the like), but I keep stumbling across "Goliath studio Stands".

Are these any good? Anyone used them? Are they *really* capable of 80Kg? I dont need to put anywhere near that up, but headroom is always nice.

Thanks in advance.

Are they *really* capable of 80Kg? I dont need to put anywhere near that up, but headroom is always nice.

I can't speak for that model, but we have a pair of a different model and we have loaded them very close to their capacity and they behaved perfectly. They still wind smoothly and didn't slip or misbehave in any way.

I do find Goliath stands slightly disconcerting in comparison to the traditional Manfrotto style wind-up. It's probably the lack of any "locking off" - so just the screw lift itself holding the load.

So a relatively safe purchase to hold up 4mtrs of truss with 6 miniscan HPEs on? (using 2 stands, not one)

I would ask the company selling them, call me cynicial, but I think they may have a biased opinion :)

I'm pretty confident that would work. But as a dealer for Goliath (amongst other brands) I'm slightly biased myself. ;-)

What kind of truss are you planning on using? Most should be OK but some of the weak stuff from DJ shops can be a bit of a liability.

I picked up my trilite from http://www.trilite-zone.co.uk/Pages/cat.aspx

Think it was by litestructures?

According to the chart on the linked page, 4m of Trilite 200 can take an evenly distributed load of 688kg. Your Miniscans are around 13kg each so even allowing for cabling, hardware, etc. you're well within the limits.

Trilite is miles better than cheap DJ truss but can be vulnerable to rough treatment - make sure in particular that the ends of the tubes don't get dented.

I would rather support users/suppliers on here, than some random joe, would you like to quote me up for them?

PM Sent. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I own a pair of these stands. They're really good and surprisingly cheap!

One point though - they're not technically a 3.8m lift winch stand. They're a 2.8m stand with a lift out centre pole. In other words you've got to telescope the centre pole out first manually, then put a pin through. That takes it up the first metre. After that the rest of the height is winched.

If you just need 2.8m winched height then that shouldn't be a problem.

Archived