scrollers v moving heads

David1407

;) I would be really grateful if anyone could help me. I am doing an a-level project at the moment. I am the lighting designer for the piece and I am using scrollers so that my general wash can obviously change colour. but in my write up I need to justify this. the only reason I can come up with is that scrollers are much cheaper than moving heads.

I would be really grateful if anyone can think of any other reasons why I would not use moving head wash lights as I can think of many reasons why I would use them not any for why I wouldn't use them.

any help would be appreciated . :P :P :D

thank you :D

So many possible answers...

- you might have scrollers in a repertory stock, which you can use at no extra cost (compared to moving heads which will probably be hired in)

- scrollers use "real" gel, which means you get a perfect match with another "non-scrollered" fixture in the same rig. Getting a perfect match with dichroics to gel is at best difficult

- you can put pretty much any generic light source behind a scroller, whereas wash lights are quite limited in terms of:

_________- (original) beam size (compare the effect of a light source emanating from the small lens of a S4 with that coming from a 5kW fresnel - not in terms of brightness, but in terms of original width)

_________- shape - you can't replicate the effect of an 8-lite with a moving head wash light

- slightly simpler programming: you only need to consider the colour, not any other attribute - it means using scrollers on a non-moving light desk is a lot less painful than using movers (not pain free, but a lot easier!)

... and some others that don't leap into mind immediately, but as I'm late for the pub, I'll have to leave you to other BR'ers for now!

Most moving head wash lights have discharge lamps and are a different colour temp to the rest of the rig.

Movers weigh allot and could cause you loading problems - they also take up more space in the rig.

Moving lights can also be quite noisy, although I guess the fans on the scrollers do make some noise.

Just a thought, but have you covered why you haven't put up several general covers instead of using scrollers? That could help you justify the scrollers, in the other direction, if you know what I mean.

Just a thought, but have you covered why you haven't put up several general covers instead of using scrollers?  That could help you justify the scrollers, in the other direction, if you know what I mean.

Just to be controversial:-

Having one wash with scrollers attached means that whatever the colour the angles of light will be the same. Thus, every time you change colour that is the only thing that changes. What about not using scrollers? Have you thought about a 134 backlight wash, an 071 toplight wash, a 178 sidelight wash from SL, a 147 sidelight wash from SR, a 203 straight-on frontlight wash, a 103 wash from 45degreesL, a 108 wash from 45degreesR, a 157 footlights wash and an open white gobo wash? The colours, of course, could be any you want. This would give you a huge choice of colour mixes and every time you changed colour the whole look of the lighting would change too.

Just a thought! :P

Archived