Rainbow Scroller woes

alexforey

We currently have 3 non-functioning Rainbow (original) 8" Pro Scrollers in my venue, each with a different problem. I have tried factory resetting all of them, but the problems persist.

One of them, when launching, displays the message "Pro8", thinks for a while, and then just displays "8" indefinitely. Sounds to me like a firmware issue?

With the second scroller, when loading a 19-frame string, calibrates itself by running only between the 16th and 18th frames, and then claims that there are 4 frames in the string. No amount of factory resetting or reloading can fix this issue.

The last scroller gets stuck on a bLOC error while running a Prun (usually the 2nd Prun) every time.

I have also tried different scrolls with the two that aren't loading correctly, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I factory reset each time before trying to load a scroll, and I know the issues aren't due to low voltage because I'm only using a 5m cable to the PSU.

Any suggestions? I'm going to have a few hours with them on Sunday, and if that doesn't work out we'll send them off to While Light -- but I really need at least one more functional for plotting this upcoming week.

Also if anyone has a copy of the full service manual it would be greatly appreciated, as the Quick Reference is the only version I can find online.

Grr. Typed a reply to this, hit 'post' and it disappeared http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/mur.gif.

1 - I've never come across that particular fault, but PCB failure is certainly a possibility. We've had to put new PCBs in some of our older Rainbows due to failure.

2 - might perhaps be a dodgy encoder. After resetting, but before joining the scroll onto the left-hand spindle, when the display says 'join' try running the spindles to the left (the direction you'd go in order to load a scroll) for a pretty good sort of distance, then join the scroll on and load it. Might not help, but it's worth a try.

3 - definitely sounds like a buggered encoder.

I think I have a copy of the full service manual on a computer at work - will look next week.

Archived