Upgrade amps for Nexo PS or switch to D&B?

peddrums

Hi guys,

I'm currently running a Nexo PS15/RS15 system on Vortex 6s with an NX242 for live sound but I need a higher SPL. The camcos clip before the limiter for the cabs ever cuts in.

I was weighing up whether to swap the vortex 6s for 200Vs, or maybe an NXAMP 4x4 and lose the controller as well and wondered how much extra level this would afford me, or whether switching to some point source Q series or Y series would flatten the Nexos?

Cheers

I'm currently running a Nexo PS15/RS15 system on Vortex 6s with an NX242 for live sound but I need a higher SPL. The camcos clip before the limiter for the cabs ever cuts in.

I was weighing up whether to swap the vortex 6s for 200Vs, or maybe an NXAMP 4x4 and lose the controller as well and wondered how much extra level this would afford me, or whether switching to some point source Q series or Y series would flatten the Nexos?

Considering at 4Ω or 8Ω the 200V will deliver a whopping 1.5dB more output than a Vortex 6 I would have to say if you need more SPL you need a bigger rig. That might be d&b Q series or Y series, or it might be something else, but changing to a Vortex 200V is not the answer. The NXAmp4x4 is equal in power to 2 Camco 200Vs, so also not really the answer.

Mac

Yeah you're right, I've been on the road a while and I'm not thinking straight. I suppose a better question would be how much louder would the D&Bs be perceived than the Nexos in the real world. I have experienced the Q and C series performing through them as an artist but don't have any hands on engineering experience with them; in that regard the majority of my experience is with Nexo and F1, and as much as I LOVE F1, for me, logistically they're impractical.

Q/Y would certainly be a step up. I imagine there will be plenty of Q on the s/h market over the next year, since it has recently been discontinued and rental houses move over to Y and V point source.

Q appears to have held its value very well - good news if you own them, not so good if you are trying to acquire some. I considered adding some a while ago but couldn't really justify the cost, especially for a box that could be up to 10yrs old and is discontinued.

I used to run a PS15 rig, and they are very inoffensive speakers - they don't rip your face off. This can be quite a useful quality - especially for something like a corporate event where you have audience jammed up against the cabinets. But if you are trying to run sound for a snarling aggressive band, they may lack a little bite.

To the OP, I'd definitely recommend getting a demo before spending your money.

If you're looking for something new then it might be worth looking at Inspired Audio, www.inspired-audio.co.uk

We've been running their Optima 5 system for about 18 months now & it's been fantastic, but their point source gear is also excellent. They're based in Nottingham so it's too far away, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I mentioned elsewhere that I was really impressed with a TW Audio PA-SYS-ONE system that a tour brought in recently.

A German company, supposedly run by an ex D&B designer. Certainly very classy kit, and good looking - sounded lovely. No idea on pricing, mind, but I was very impressed - and the specs look as good as it sounded. Never seen it in the UK before or since, but would love to know what it costs. If reasonably cheaper than the equivalent D&B, could be worth considering, though presumably cross-rental and resale values may be less good.

No idea on pricing, mind, but I was very impressed - and the specs look as good as it sounded. Never seen it in the UK before or since, but would love to know what it costs.

TW Audio exhibited at the Pro show, and whilst their boxes were very well received the prices are probably closer to D&B territory. Certainly not "cheap" in any sense of the word - they seem extremely well built and thoughtfully designed. The flying system on their larger array is beautiful.

Also, you might not immediately notice it from the photo on their product page, but that's a couple of Powersoft K series amps powering the system. Again not an inexpensive option...

TW Audio exhibited at the Pro show, and whilst their boxes were very well received the prices are probably closer to D&B territory. Certainly not "cheap" in any sense of the word - they seem extremely well built and thoughtfully designed. The flying system on their larger array is beautiful.

Ah well, that answers that question then. Very lovely, mind.

Also, you might not immediately notice it from the photo on their product page, but that's a couple of Powersoft K series amps powering the system. Again not an inexpensive option...

I had, though the system we had in didn't use those. It used just an el cheapo Lab Gruppen PLM+ 4 channel amp. Oh, hold on....

Hi guys,

Cheers

If the Camcos are clipping before the 242 protects, then the processor can't be set up right. Check the amp power setting and that the sense lines are wired right (sorry if this is patronising, but the controller should match the amp properly, there shouldn't be weird gain structure issues with it). Check also the amp's sensitivity switch. I think we used to have these set to 26dB. An amp upgrade certainly shouldn't be required.

As to whether a D&B system would be better, I guess it depends on how many you're talking about. 1 Q on a stick is not going to be much different. A stack of them, well then you're talking. As others have said, you're going to need more rig!

EDIT:

If the Camcos are clipping before the 242 protects, then the processor can't be set up right. Check the amp power setting and that the sense lines are wired right (sorry if this is patronising, but the controller should match the amp properly, there shouldn't be weird gain structure issues with it). Check also the amp's sensitivity switch. I think we used to have these set to 26dB. An amp upgrade certainly shouldn't be required.

As to whether a D&B system would be better, I guess it depends on how many you're talking about. 1 Q on a stick is not going to be much different. A stack of them, well then you're talking. As others have said, you're going to need more rig!

What's been happening is that the 242 limits the subs what I feel is quite early but doesn't limit the ps15s, it's quite happy to let the ps15s amp clip as well.

To me this all seems strange, but what also seems strange is that the processor thinks the RS15s are running out of gas well before the PSs.

I bought the system second hand and reset the processor when I got it. I also repatched everything and made sure with absolute certainty that the sense lines were wired correctly. The read gain came out at 26db and amp power at 186v and the processor was configured accordingly.

I'm planning on opening ES monitor in the next couple of days to see if any tinkering has been done on there, load 2_58 is currently installed. Failing that does anyone have any ideas?

If I was to switch I was looking at 1Q top on 2 subs per side, although if the current contracts I'm trying to procure come off, I can keep praying, ill end up with some point source V series. I am very familiar with the Qs, just not from a hands on engineering POV.

Are you sure that someone's not moved the amp sensitivity switches and you've not noticed?

It'll be worth sorting it out. If working properly, there's not much more volume you can get out of a single box than these will give. If you need more volume, you'll need bigger boxes!

Yeah, checked the sensitivity switches a couple of days ago, still at 26. I'm trying to get into ES monitor but failing, I think it's an OS compatibility issue so I'm going to install windows 7 and see if that helps me. I suppose I'll start looking at larger/arrayable boxes then, it's a shame, I quite like the sound of the PS15.

Archived