Rocks and boulders

JCC1996

Hi,

I'm looking for some rocks/boulders for a production. Its to make a sort of rockery garden, so we'll need a variety of sizes and shapes. Ideally that would be sturdy enough to stand, or at least lean on. I was wondering if anywhere would sell/hire these off the shelf, or if anyone could point me in the direction of how to make them?

Joe

Hi,

I'm looking for some rocks/boulders for a production. Its to make a sort of rockery garden, so we'll need a variety of sizes and shapes. Ideally that would be sturdy enough to stand, or at least lean on. I was wondering if anywhere would sell/hire these off the shelf, or if anyone could point me in the direction of how to make them?

Joe

Would something along the lines of these work?

http://www.irwdesign.com/br/rocks.jpg

PM me if so! They're polystyrene, but can be stood on (within reason!), and we do have a reasonable pile of similar ones in the NYMT props store.

• 2 months later...

If you're making them yourself, I would recommend using layers of polystyrene form a builder's merchant, covered in Jesmonite.

The poly can be easily sculpted with a breadknife (I have used chainsaws for larger ones - careful!), and the Jesmonite sets rock hard - easily standable-on.

Archived