Small white backdrop cloth for drama exam…

SceneMaster

Hi,

I need to get a white cloth of some description to cover and area 2.60 by 2.90 metres this is a back drop for a GCSE Drama Exam (well the size of the cloth need to be slightly larger than this as it need to be attached to the poles. We have the pole system (just brought specially) to hold the cloth up but we need the cloth. This system being a big cross bar held up by two upright which fit into some of our “Stage†music staging can’t remember the range name (the stuff which racks up in a spiral and has the boards with a holes in the corners to go on top, well I know it is made by stage.) Anyway I this cloth needs to be able to have light shone through it from the back without it becoming see through. I am back projecting a gobo onto it as well as having some diffused P56s colouring it.

We have a very limited budget for getting this cloth. The drama teacher originally suggested big bed sheets which although would look ok if the light was only coming from the front, they would go see through if any light comes from the back… I then thought that new white builders dust sheets which I have seen around (used) which are in a medium not too coarse weave would be good but on looking around the builders shops they only seem to sell badge thick weave stuff which firstly stopped far to much light and also looks very mucky and would look hideous.

I have now go along the lines of thicker curtain backing/lining material as this is fairly cheap but again I think may turn see through with a 1k profile projecting the door gobo behind it. I has been suggested to me that I may use blackout curtain backing/ lining which I would assume would not let much light through but with 300watt and 1000watt material I should without going see through. The only disadvantage with this (apart from whether it will do what I want with the light behind it as I haven’t actually see any I person or experimented with it) is that it has to have a seem down the centre of it for the width I want but this shouldn’t be too much of an issue it will annoy me but I doubt many other people will care. (My mum has offered to do all the neat sowing for it :D)

Anyway what do people think? What would people suggest for this application which isn’t professional but still needs quality I have been told that I have a top mark of about £50 for this but I would be more preferable at around £25 but I can have the full £50 if needs be.

Thanks in advanced,

I hope this was the right place to post this topic… I didn’t know whether it should be in stage management, video and projection (it being sort of screen like but not really :shaun:) or here.

sounds like you need either casement or screen material

Casement used to be used a lot stretched over trusses for conferences / exhibitions and can look good when either front or back lit.

Screen material can also look good either with lamps or projection on it again front or back lit.

I would suggest if it's for a show buying sheets would perhaps have a fire proofing concern.

I would suggest finding out your nearest conference set company and asking them if they have any casement (muslin) or screen material that they have used on a show recently.

It's normally seen as a consumable and so it either scrapped after the load-out or used to wrap up any expensive bits and pieces like logos.

Plus If it's been on a show it's probably treated with some type of flame retardant

I'm sure that they would be able to sort you out.

I don’t really have time for all that… I know it would be the best… but I need this in the next week or so and I am just wondering what sort of thing people would go for on budget and quickly eg curtain backing/lining material ect this is not for a pro show so doesn’t need to be excellent it will probably only be used once… but it does need to look ok.

On the issue of fire proofing I have planned to buy a can of fire proofing spray. Yes I know it is not ideal but this surely covers this safety issue for a short term (2-day) set up where all lights are at least 2 metres from it. As far as school are concerned they are not bothered but I was and in my risk assessment this is one of the issues that I am going raise and the reasonable step I have taken towards reducing the risk (fire proofing spray).

So what have people used in budget situations as white back drops/drapes?

Thanks for that I shall keep that company in mind for the future. I have brought the Terralec scenery cloth it is thick canverse like which is fine it has the right light properties and school are presuming that it is fire retardant. Not the way I would look at it but it is schools choice they are buying it but at least I persuaded them off the bed sheets. At least this is proper stuff and will last longer than just this exam and could be used for music shows ect. Maybe even on that grounds I could persuade them to fire retard it or at least find out if it is fire retardant. I have emailed terralec and have had no response even thought I have just brought it from them. :P

But apart from that it is fine and suits the purpose perfectly and is certainly safer than bed sheets! :P

(oh MTAWAY do you work for Acre Jean Ltd? If so you can become a company rep for them on this site and also as the above was your first post welcome to the blue-room... :D )

Archived