Problem focusing Strand SL 23/50

vinntec

If anyone has a Strand SL 23/50 whose lens tube they can easily open up, I would be interested to know what the lenses look like, what order they are in, and which way round they are (verbally and/or photo whichever is easier).

We got a batch second hand recently and 11/12 are absolutely fine with a little TLC but one of them has an abortion of a lens tube, the insides of which have beenseverely messed around with. It only focuses sharp at full spot (so passed our bench test and got onto our rig) but can’t befocused at all in any other beam size position - we are a tiny low rig theatre so they are only useful to us almost full flooded. If I try to adjust the beam size I see two spots, one inside the other, hence I suspect the lenses. The lens train wasn't straight but we can easily fix that, but I don't think that is all that is wrong with it. All our good SLs are rigged and focused for an upcoming show (this was almost the last one to be done!) and I would rather not disturb them if someone can help me out.

Any help much appreciated. If anyone happens to have an SL 23/50 lens tube lying around which we might have, please PM details.

I've got 2 in the roof - I'll try to have a look tomorrow

Hi Ian - thanks, I would appreciate it.

Hi Peter. The smaller lens in the wider carriage sits nearest the lamp, with the more convex side facing forward. The front lens in the narrower carriage also has the convex side facing forward. The exploded diagram - http://www.theatrecr...ts_usa_1999.pdf doesn't actually show any glass,, presumably because the lenses are glued into the carriages. Good luck.

Hi Peter. The smaller lens in the wider carriage sits nearest the lamp, with the more convex side facing forward. The front lens in the narrower carriage also has the convex side facing forward. The exploded diagram - http://www.theatrecr...ts_usa_1999.pdf doesn't actually show any glass,, presumably because the lenses are glued into the carriages. Good luck.

Hi Ian - the lenses look and are aligned exactly as you describe. Very odd but I will check the reflector again which was fine when inspected but might have fallen to pieces since! If that looks OK and the lamp hasn't been bent over, then I think I am stumped. Thanks for your help, I was hoping was just lenses back to front or one reversed, but seems not. Peter

We have had a close look at the offending SL with a second one I took down from the rig and it looks like it has the wrong rear (nearest lamp) lens. On the good one it is convex on both sides, but the bad one is convex forwards and concave towards the lamp. I would not have expected the lenses to change between versions, so I suspect this is either completely the wrong rear lens or the one from an SL 15/32 which we don't have any of? Any SL experts out there able to help with the identification?

I suspect this is either completely the wrong rear lens or the one from an SL 15/32 which we don't have any of? Any SL experts out there able to help with the identification?

I don't have one to hand to check, but my guess would be that as it obviously fits the lens tube it is indeed from a 15/32.

I don't have one to hand to check, but my guess would be that as it obviously fits the lens tube it is indeed from a 15/32.

Hi Ian - yes we are pretty sure this is the case. TRW Winchester have some 15/32 which are in use currently but have promised to have a look at one later in the week when they swap shows over to confirm that this is what it [probably] is. It is in the right lens holder and the right size, so this is the most obvious conclusion. In which case we have to fight with everyone else next time a 23/50 comes up for sale!

In which case we have to fight with everyone else next time a 23/50 comes up for sale!

Still leaves you with a duff one! Might be worth ringing round the service depts. of WL, Stage Electrics, etc. in case anyone has a lens out of a dead 23/50 in their junk box. Possibly too modern for Jim Laws. I'd be surprised if someone didn't make a generic replacement, but I wouldn't know where to look these days. It's a very long shot, but it might be worth finding out what size rear lens the wide-angle version CCT Freedom used, as they might still have spares..

Archived