Music Licensing?

djw1981

Hi

Our church is being used for a charity concert soon; and being involved in the tech side of it we have become slightly embroiled in licensing.

It's a 200 seater church with a charity concert so we have an exemption to PEL under the resolution posted at http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/downloads/download/268/public_entertainment_licence

Most of their music is opera (which they say is out of copyright restrictions etc) but they plan to do a couple of songs from Les Mis and one from Chicago. I assume these need some licensing for performance? Any ideas which, as whilst I;m not trying to deprive the charity of any money, I also don;t want to put the venue at risk of action from a regulatory body over allowing unlicensed performances.

We will apply the level of stewarding etc that we do during the fringe (for those events the artists are normally well prepared with regard to music licensing or performing their own work).

Edit: correct typo in first line from sued to used; freudian?

Not actually as easy as you expect for this one, as you don't want a year round system introducing. There is a special charity event tariff that PRS offer but it has specifics on people and entry charges etc, so might not fit. There's also a complication in dramatico musical performances, that should be fine if it's in a concert situation, without costumes and special lighting. Call then on 0845 300 6033 and have a chat. They are actually very helpful, and will explain what, if anything to do. For one or two songs, they may well even hint that you don't need to do anything, because if the charge is so small the admin costs more to process it, they won't want to do it.

They won't try to trick you, so be honest and explain it all. They are actually helpful people, despite the usual moans and groans people have.

Archived