Should we have an engineer?

Original Beef

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdh31N_szFg

Well, let's be honest. You've asked this question in what is essentially a forum for sound engineers so I think the answers you've had are fairly predictable.

However, I have to concur. A good sound engineer, one that's in tune with your group and how they should sound, can be like an extra member and have just as much beneficial effect on your performance. As Paul said, the only place to judge what the audience is hearing is out in the audience. Also don't forget that, as well as controlling what the audience hears, they can also help you all with customised monitor mixes and such.

Do note that I said "good" sound engineer. All too often the job is given to a friend of the drummer's unemployed brother-in-law. Just as somebody who know what they're doing can make a good band better, a bad engineer can make you worse.

But, yes. You should have a sound engineer.

I've been watching this thread with interest as we asked the same question as year or so ago. Our engineer is still with us and we now (as suggested we would) think of him as the 7th member of the band.

To be honest he's invaluable in so many ways, and our show is much better thanks to his efforts.

That's very true - I think there's a whole different skillset involved in getting a band onstage ASAP in these kinds of circumstances. I've been doing a bit of work with a function band (they tend to get me in for their bigger / richer gigs). I've never had a soundcheck yet -we can sometimes manage a quick line check but often not even that. It's a bit nerve wracking going straight into the first dance at a posh wedding with only a vague idea of what you're going to get down the inputs. I quite enjoy the adrenaline rush but I imagine many others wouldn't.

I always manage to put myself in a position where I get line checks and sound check but sound checks for open door gigs are pretty fraught affairs. have a scene from a previous decent and neutral-ish gig really helps.

there is a lot to be said for working serially with the same engineer or a couple of guys, where you can.

We cheerfully pay our sound engineer to come with us to 'PA provided' gigs or festivals where somebody else is going to mix. Having somebody out front even if all they do is suggest and point is worth the money, and hotels. In our band, we all sing, pretty much all the time, and the lead lines are thrown around during each song. This is a nightmare for somebody strange to do, and most, but not all, accept the hands on the vocal faders to make their life easier. Only the anal ones refuse to allow touching!

We're pretty expensive, and sometimes when the client's budget is tight, we fund Pete ourselves, because it's worth it.

Thanks for the further input. I've taken the advice from some people on here and there is someone who is going to help out for a bit more experience. I'll be paying expenses but also giving training along the way so we both get something from it.

As a few people have said I probably already knew the answer to my question, I just wanted someone else to tell me but also I can show this to the band.

Archived