Sennheiser G3 interesting fault

KevinE

Just had a client bring a G3 handheld kit in with the complaint that the mic was changing volume as he moved around the stage.

On test this was immediately apparent, and I noticed that as I moved about and caused the receiver to switch channels, chA was alot quieter than chB...this was what the client was experiencing.

After a bit of head scratching I noticed that the frequency on the handheld was set to 853.175Mhz and the receiver was set to 853.300Mhz! Putting them on the same frequency brought stable operation back.

I wondered if anyone's had this before and whether it was simply riding on the AFC. <_<

Or 823.100 to 830.900 if they hold a current shared license.

Likely something to do with the compander, I'm not surprised it still worked even with the pilot tone on. I have had an issue where one antenna has gone a bit awry and has muted the system when it switches to that side. Worth checking that it is working 100% now and not just a coincidence.

Archived