Wireless intercom via Raspberry Pi

cedd

if going Android I don't see why you need Asterisk at all. Each device can just broadcast udp packets of its audio for everyone else to listen to. Or maybe that would reach the limits of the network capacity too quickly.

I don't need or want Asterisk.

I want Mumble and it seems to work fine.

UDP broadcasts don't work when someone connects from another network segment,

they don't guarantee any ordering or integrity and you have no way to see who's online.

I don't need or want Asterisk.

I want Mumble and it seems to work fine.

UDP broadcasts don't work when someone connects from another network segment,

they don't guarantee any ordering or integrity and you have no way to see who's online.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about Asterisk following on from the previous post.

I was thinking of a very simple setup (school/amdram etc) with less than 10 stations and where you provide a dedicated wifi point which everyone is connected to. Simple UDP might work. Each station could track who is online as you would know where the packets were coming from. Packets arriving out of order may be an issue although on a simple system without any switches involved I don't think that would happen.

There is an android project on Sourceforge which very nearly does this, I will have a play with it and see if it might work, just out of interest.

Archived