JBL PRX715

Ed Kaz

Does anyone have any problems with these speakers (JBL PRX715) ?

They were highly recommend by the dealer. Purchased 4 and the PRX subs to go with them...

Sounded great at the first event. Noticed some distortion when used for a small party (less then 50 people and did not need subs). One speaker sounded like it was blown ! Took speaker back to the dealer which he sent out for repair. The repair guy heard the distortion and took it apart and could NOT find anything wrong ! Reassembled it and sent it back. We used it and sounded fine for a while then distortion came back . Not only on one speaker but 2. Also lost the high end on another speaker !!! These speakers were no way being pushed and below the limit indicator on the speaker. Going back to the dealer tomorrow and don't know what to do....I thought I had upgraded the sound system (8-Bose 802/4-502 subs)? I had people say that the JBL's sounded bad !! Oh and how about those speaker poles (JBLPOLE-MA) that screw into the subs. Then the speakers are on the poles they are crooked and lopsided ...Nothing like a professional looking setup !!!

Anyway... can someone recommend a better speaker or speaker company (QSC how are the KW153's?). Something that is self powered and at least in the 1500 watt range that you use. I must go back to the dealer tomorrow ... I have a few high-end events coming up and look like a fool with sub standard speakers !

Thank for any Help

Ed

It would help to know what you're planning to use these for, and what your budget is! Reading between the lines, I'm presuming it's for disco? It also looks like you're in the US. Not a great problem, but the bulk of the Blue Room is UK based.

Took a quick look at those JBL boxes - not cheap!

Round here, you'll get a lot of love for Yamaha DXR, RCF ART and (even cheaper) Alto Truesonic. All of which look cheaper than the JBL stuff (here at least), and which all give out some serious poke at good quality.

Your JBL boxes were highly recommended by the dealer - were they a JBL dealer, perchance...?

The problem with JBL is they do some great stuff, and stuff that is, as the old saying goes, "just bloody loud".

If your budget is up to it, and you want JBL, check out the SRX835P, these are getting good buzz, but check the dispersion matches your needs. Less money, the Yamaha DSRs give most things anywhere near their price point a thumping.

You'll probably want subs as well.

Anyway... can someone recommend a better speaker or speaker company (QSC how are the KW153's?). Something that is self powered and at least in the 1500 watt range that you use. I must go back to the dealer tomorrow ... I have a few high-end events coming up and look like a fool with sub standard speakers !

ElectroVoice ETX series is probably the best, I've not personally heard them but I'm assured they are better than the QSC KW which I have heard and are very good. The Yamaha DSR are in the same class.

A long way above QSC KW and EV ETX price wise you have JBL VP series and RCF TT.

As others have said we need to know the application, if you are playing recorded music at 'party' levels then you are generally always going to want to the subs. If you are doing vocal reinforcement then much of the time you won't need them.

Archived