Allen & Heath GL2200 etc

johnf52

I have seen previous posts where guys have been having issues with internal PSUs with there beloved GLs and with A&H no longer supporting them the only option has been third party repairs or purchase A&H RSP11 which is around £700 and more then you may want to spend on a faithful but old friend. I had the same issue and was just about to give up when I made contact with Tim Scott of Dantech a company that makes PSUs. After a few phone calls and a few emails, they have made me a custom built 2U switch mode PSU inc phantom supply with a 5 pin xlr output (to match the GLs external PSU connections, switched IEC input, leds and fuses on all three voltage lines, black powder finish, rack mountable for £200 yes £200 !!! and it works a dream. I had mine custom finished with all connections on the front, but each to his own! I would recommend disconnecting any residual circuitry of a duff internal PSU before connecting a new external one, which is easy enough if you can brandish a soldering iron. Suitable 5 pin lead available from CPC for about £4

So presto I now have my old friend back, so if anyone else out there has a faithful GL with a knackered internal PSU, give Tim at Dantech a call

The PSUs in the GL series are pretty simple linear ones. When mine developed a fault a few years back, a 10p component and about an hour of my time was all it took to fix it. Maybe the newer ones are more complex though :)

MY GL2200 had an internal switch mode power supply. The power supply requirements for these boards is not too onerous at 1 or 1.5 amps for the +/- 15V rail so a PSU from many other sources could work or could be made up from transformer & semiconductor regulators etc. bought from RS Farnell or even Maplin!

With experience it is possible to repair the switched mode PSU's fitted to the GL2200 mixers, but due to the very high voltage present on the primary side of the transformer - this should be left to professionals, as it could certainly kill.

The PSU's from the later GL2400 series could be used externally (they are not mechanically compatible) - and replacement boards from the ZED series could be adapted, although they will have to be built into a suitable case.

Certainly a linear PSU can be built easily - but don't forget the +48 volt Phantom supply......

Archived