£2500 lighting desks

KCLeblanc

I'm looking at lighting desk for a mixed use venue (live music, theatre and the odd club night).

Initially it'll be used to run 28 generic channels, 6 LED fixtures and a Hazer. Support for moving heads is a must since it's likely we will be adding some to our arsenal in the next few years.

I'm currently looking at the Chamsys MQ40 and the Zero88 Solution is there anything else around that price point I should be having a look at?

Our current desk in a Fat Frog, I find it works well for theatre work with the generics but isn't good for busking music shows and doesn't work that well with our LED fixtures. I'm also frustrated by the complete lack of blind editing.

Is not being able to plug an external monitor into the MQ40 a big problem?

I had a look at the FLX at Stage Electric, but since I had only been out for a few days they didn't have anyone who could really show it off. I also had a good look at the MA dot2, but I'm not going to get one of those for £2500!

Another thumbs up for the FLX. I would have thought it would certainly be less 'clunky' than the Solution. For all lighting control (theatre and live music busking) I use my FROG2 which I get on with well. I would also give a thumbs up for the Titan mobile, I've used this for a couple of gigs and it's very easy to get to grips with.

Edward

Martin M-touch at £400 ish and a 24" touchscreen PC at £800 ish?

We have a Martin M2Go, same software runs on the M1 through M2PC, and also on PC. One universe of DMX form the MTouch, add another two universes with the Martin DMX dongle - name escapes me as they keep changing it - DMX Duo at £240 ish?

There are times when we need more than one lighting desk so have the M2Go with an M touch as a wing, and also an HP touchscreen PC (no other software installed, no anti virus, no network connection) with an M touch as the operating surface, cant fault it really.

Ive always been an AVO guy but had enough of the licensing issues, just cant get the AVO dongle working on my own, AVO tech support gets it up and running on the phone, and then it stops working when we get to a small show...

Gary

FYI The USB DMX DUO box, is now officially known as M-DMX. It has a new aluminium housing; two 5 pin DMX ports, a USB 2.0 port and a Kensington lock slot too. It's essentially the same two DMX outputs in a new design. Previously it's been through a few names and revisions in its old plastic housing for Lightjockey and M-PC.

Now you can have a PC programming/playback wing for £400(ish) with the M-Touch, which has 1 DMX output as well - I honestly never thought I'd see the day we could get a proper surface like that from a console manufacturer! Well worth checking out.

Thanks.

There isn't a complete lack of blind editing - hit Preview, then Edit.

Busking on the Frog series can be easy enough with some clever plotting with subs - using partial fixture tagging you can plot (for example) colour changes or movement patterns separately from each other and from the brightness chases - so then you can mix one movement with a different brightness chase pattern and create multiple variations quickly & easily.

It certainly is long in the tooth these days though.

The MQ40 would certainly be able to handle the above fixtures and leave room for future expansion with its 4 universes of direct DMX output.

Although the MQ40 does not have a network port you can still save/load shows via USB to any other MagicQ system, including the free PC software for editing at home/building a show before arriving at the venue.

Any other questions on the MQ40 do let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Regards,

James

Archived