Music and/or video player on ipad or similar device

Dicky

Dear All,

I'm looking for a piece of software or app that can run on a tablet (any kind as it hasn't been bought yet) that members of the public can use very simple controls to play a selection of up to 10 video or audio files.

There seems to be several kiosk type apps out there, but does anyone have any experience of using an app or similar that does what I'm looking for?

I'm more than happy to pay for this, so it doesn't need to be a free version, and am happy to do some setting up of the software to get it looking good.

The tablet will end up being mounted into a bespoke cabinet for security and also for aesthetics, so it won't be 'nickable'. it would be good to lockout all other functions of the tablet when that app is running, and to have a menu screen that it always goes back to at the beginning.

Any suggestions welcome, but I would ask that you only point me in the direction of something that you yourself have experience of, as I'd always prefer a recommendation, rather than a 'this looks like it would work'.

I'm looking to get up to four of these tablets all runnning the same thing if that makes any difference.

cheers, Dicky

You are going to struggle to keep a tablet working in an application like this. Even switching the power on is hard once you put them in a cabinet.

Does it really have to be a tablet, if you're hiding it in an enclosure?

A Brightsign player with a touch monitor would do exactly what you want and have no problems with locking out unwanted features.

Doesn't have to be a tablet, happy to look at all options. Would brightsign be your preferred option for this?

Yes, if you have the budget they are a very reliable way to do what you want, designed exactly for the purpose.

Anything involving a tablet or a PC is going to be somewhat painful, locking them down so that the public can't crash them/exit the app etc is hard.

Doesn't have to be a tablet, happy to look at all options. Would brightsign be your preferred option for this?

Anything involving a tablet or a PC is going to be somewhat painful, locking them down so that the public can't crash them/exit the app etc is hard.

I disagree. This is exactly what guided access mode on IPADs was made for. Single app lock down.

I disagree. This is exactly what guided access mode on IPADs was made for. Single app lock down.

OK haven't attempted it on an ipad. Just many painful experiences with Android.

How do you deal with power on if it's shut in a cabinet, just out of interest, can you do some sort of auto power on with an ipad?

Interesting stuff here, all good so far. Some sort of power on/off that doesn't involve having to get to buttons on the device itself would be ideal, could be scheduled.

OK haven't attempted it on an ipad. Just many painful experiences with Android.

How do you deal with power on if it's shut in a cabinet, just out of interest, can you do some sort of auto power on with an ipad?

You CAN, but only when jailbroken, which im not going to offer an opinion about.

However I have never needed to turn them off. Even if you lose mains overnight (if its out of your control) then a fully charged ipad from the daytime, will do an easy 10/12 hours on battery to see you through till the morning.

Not the perfect solution, but a fairly low cost one.

In my day job we use the KioWare Full kiosk on tethered Androids for customers to use. I've not played myself, but the technicians here are "well impressed" especially with the the remote content updates and the fact that so far no-one has managed to break through.

Kioware looks like a way of locking the tablet or PC out, so people can use it for one task, which is what I need, but I can't see any software on that site to build the simple interface I'm after to play the video and audio files, unless I'm missing something?

It's this software or App that I'm after to build what I need. The brightsign option does look good, just getting to grips with the software you use with it, but still wondering if there is something simple out there?

Thinking slighty outside the box...

You could use something like touch osc to create an interface on the tablet device, which could trigger playback from a pc hidden in the stand.

Add a soundcard into the mix to get multiple outputs.

Archived