yamaha spx990

blackbeast250

:D hi , thanks for all the help on my last post about the sound systems, I have been searching the net all day looking for a site or a forum that shares effect settings for different machines such as the yamaha spx990 , but to absolubtly no avail , does anyone have any ideas on this , or does anyone have one and use it succesfully to effect an acoustic guitar?

Robin

I use SPX 990.

Sometimes I use it on accoustic guitars.

However the settings I use depend on the room, the type of guitar the style of playing the type of accompniment and the time available.

There are no magic forumulas and you are fighting a loosing battle if you are looking for magic settings.

If you care as much about your sound as you seem to imply in your posts I would sugest you engage the services of an engineer to look after your sound for you.

As has already been posted you can not get an accurate idea of the sound in the house from the stage.

Sorry for being negative.

James

I'm afraid James is right. What you're playing makes a huge difference to what effects will work.

If you're playing slower music you can use longer reverbs, the faster the music the shorter the reverb you'll need. If you're a fingerpicker you'll need a long pre-delay to keep the clarity, if you like a more rocky chordal thing a short pre-delay may work better. Then there's chorusing which may work or not depending on what you want your guitar to sound like, then there'sall sorts of other stuff you can use which will sound awful if you apply it to the wrong type of music.

However, I suspect you're looking for a crisp bright sound if you're playing accoustic so I'd suggest getting the sound right at source as much as possible, adding a little top end to the EQ to make sure your mic or pickup isn't losing anything, then go for a subtle reverb of about 1.8" with plenty of pre-delay and not much else. See how that works and go from there. What you will need, if you're playing yourself, is to listen to the sound from out front. If you can't get someone else to play like you do, then I can suggest playing in the rehearsal room exactly as you would on stage and record the sound dry. You can then play this back through the P.A. and play with the SPX.

Have fun!

thanks guys , at present I cant afford an engineer , I get about 350 euros per gig , and over here in ireland a very average engineer would be looking for at least 175 for the night , but the other suggestion may be a runner , ie the recording , cheers .

Robin

Archived