A cheaper alternative or waste of money ?

dogcop

my church has a pretty good lighting system and a great sound system. the lighting system is 200 strand dimmers controled by a 520i. alot of par, lekos, and fernsels. they also have 2 roboscans 518's. this is the old place(well about 8 years or so) they are build a new 1400 seat place near there. they plan to have atleast 10 movers and controlled by a lepricon.

Once again thanks again blokes - just to clarify a couple of points

1/ we already have the following rig in place

a) 12 par cans running from 2 zero 88 dimmers and small analogue desk

b) 4 abstract future scans with its own desk

2/ The church is not your bog standard big steeple job, it is a modern building and yes it has a good power source

3/ The thought behind getting the movers is that as well use in services for effects - this rig is used by a band as well that performs across the uk at christian youth events at venues equivalent in size to bog standard school hall.

It was felt by the guys in the band, that, previously they had hired in mini macs for their events and they were really pleased with the effects they provided. However they felt that rather than continuing to hire the lighting it was probably more cost efficient in the long run to get together a small mover rig as well as the pars and abstracts to

a) learn their use properly

b) generate further income to get real quality movers in the future

thanks once again

andy

ps - Our church doesn't do religion - religion is boring - our church does life - and lives it to the max ................. I thankyou

What kind of Par cans are they and what wattage?

How big is the venue/are the venues that you normally play in?

How big is the stage and your power source?

Who would mainly be using the rig?

Another thing to consider is the design part of it. In my opinion (others may disagree) its easier to get bad design then a good lighting design. I've been to a number of Christian events where the lighting is more distracting and off-putting then complementary (you know the sort; Macs flying everywhere, colour scroll 0 - 255...and back again in 3 seconds!) which isn't really what you want in a worship environment! Then again, a few rotating gobos, when used effectivly can be great to set the mood!

sorry about all the questions!

have a look at the pearl river lighting range, the msd 250 washes and profiles are very good, however fans are a bit noisy......

Im a tec manager in a venue so used a far bit of kit...but for my own gigs I use a bit of software called lightfactory...not mega expensive, and easy to use.

Archived