Help with understanding codes on a Triac

wirralmatt

Just need a bit of advice please.

I need to replace a Triac in a sunstrip (Active MKI). It is labelled as a BTA 16 600B. What is the difference between 600B and 600BWRG and 600BRG please?

Thanks

Matt

Just need a bit of advice please.

I need to replace a Triac in a sunstrip (Active MKI). It is labelled as a BTA 16 600B. What is the difference between 600B and 600BWRG and 600BRG please?

Thanks

Matt

Pretty much nothing - any BTA16-600B series triac should do the job. The latter letters are often (but not always) used to indicate how the device will be packaged when shipped from the supplier - e.g. tape, tube etc. If you're ordering one or two, it makes no difference to you.

Not really so, the RG at the end is packing (RG=tube packaged). The B/BW is important and tells you the sensitivity of the device

B=50mA standard

BW=50mA snubberless

C=25mA standard

CW=35mA snubberless

SW=10mA logic level

so if you're replacing a B, a B or C would do but not a BW or CW as the device may rely on the snubber

Thank you so much for the help so far.... can I ask for some clarity on what a snubber is please?!

It's a circuit component which absorbs inductive spikes, which can cause the triac to latch on if you don't absorb them.

I can't think there will be much inductiveness in a sunstrip requiring a snubber, but maybe they have inductors on each lamp to reduce RF interference? Anyway I would stick to the same triac type when replacing, So a BTA 16 600B or 600BRG would be OK.

Archived