Behringer X32 - Qlab OSC to control channels

michaelyallop

We have took the plunge and purchased a Behringer X32. I, like many others were sceptical about anything Behringer, but since using it I have been pleasantly surprised. It's not the first and only Digital desk I have used so it wasn't a shock to the system as to how these desks work/route etc.

Since using it as a standard front of house PA for a theatre I have recently started to look at other things that we could do with the desk, one is using Qlab to control channels etc. using OSC.

The X32 onboard scene store soon gets filled with queues for a theatrical production of modern standards. I know during the interval I could load a new 'show' for the second act, but its not ideal.

I haven't used OSC before and wondered if anyone else had any experience with this and had any guides/tips as to where to get started?

Look forward to seeing peoples opinions

Thanks

For our first show (a play) with an X32 I knocked up some software to get OSC into the X32 from PCStage. Just used it for mutes and a small amount of level control, and it worked a treat. Ended up not needing to use the scenes on the X32 at all. Because PCStage is already controlling lighting etc, this means that the mutes and unmutes happen at the right time and are always right. Left my sound man free to manage levels and other tweaks.

Next show's a musical, so I expect there will be a lot more than just mutes needed for that, will need to get to grips with snippets :)

On the other hand, if I ever meet the person who designed the OSC protocol.........

Archived