Controlling two satellite receivers simultaneously.

We've got two Icecrypt STC6000HDPVR satellite receivers which we use for showing live/encore screenings at our theatre. We have two receivers because all or almost all of the broadcasts use two satellites in case there is a fault with one (which can happen, particularly if there is adverse weather near the transmitting station). This all works fine when we screen the event live as we can quickly switch to the other receiver if the one currently on screen develops a problem.

However we do have a problem when we try to record on both receivers simultaneously as they will both respond to the remote at the same time. As we only have the one preview monitor is not always possible to tell if both receivers have started recording at the same time. We've tried covering up the front of one receiver while we start the other recording, but we've found that this doesn't always work. What would be ideal is if there is some sort of PC software which we could use to control each receiver so that we can do away with the remote and its associated problems. Does anyone know if such software exists, or if there is another way to individually control our two receivers at the same time.

I realise that this might not be the best forum to ask, but since Icecrypt receivers are used quite a lot for live/encore screenings I thought I'd ask here. We can't be the only venue to have had this problem, surely?

I used a McGuyver type solution to a similar problem once with two VHS machines used for copying (One play, one rec).

I took the IR LEDs out of the remotes and put them on the end of a cable and then taped/blutacked/glued the IR LED directly over the IR receiver on the machines and used black tape to stop any "cross talk".

Worked perfectly. Although I could have just used the front panel buttons, I wanted the full features offered by the IR remotes.

A slightly out-of-the-box solution involves taping a drinking straw to the remote (specifically directly in front of the IR LED). Without much effort you can make a highly directional remote control for next to nothing. Note that bendy straws probably won't work as well ;-)

Archived