amdram work?

dfinn

Hi,

I have emailed a load of local amdram groups and have got a reply from 1 so far. They are really keen on having me and I am really looking forward to working with them.

But because they only do a few weeks worth of work in the theatre itself a year I fell I should get some work in a place that works more often ie the theatre itself.

Does anyone know how generally amdram groups operate and if it is best to join more than 1 amdram group or to try and get some work at one specific theatre.

Thanks

Daniel

well I joined one amdram group but as you say they only do 2 or 3 shows a year. I wondered about joining more but then I got involved with my local theatre.

As this is the theatre all the amdram groups in my area use I am now involved with all them and now do about 2 shows a month instead of the 2 shows a year.

maybe this is the way for u?

It also depends on what you want to do. Different amdram groups tend to have different priorities/ethos. Working for one can be vastly different than another. There's a whole range of standards too. Depends on what you want to do? e.g. doing LX design is likely to more of a company thing rather than as a venue tech.

yes good point,

if u were to work for the theatre rather than the company then u don't do lighting sound etc as the company provides people to do this job.

Your more of a general technicain for the theatre. I think the most I've had to do with an actually amdram production while I've been working for the theatre is smoke machine op ** laughs out loud **.

anyway you may not get to do as much in the shows but you get to see how all the different companies work etc

The first Am-dram stuff I was doing noise for was the usual youth-group nightmare, with plenty of overnighters when I invariably discovered they needed me to do lights as well as noise... Many groups may suffer the usual budget/kit/venue deficits, but if you need experience in doing large(ish) shows then it can be a fun and worthwhile investment.

The group I've been working with is claimed by The Stage and others to be one of leading amateur groups going, and I had a thoroughly good time on tour with them. As they are one of the biggest groups with some hefty financial backing from one of the biggest London City firms, I also managed to negotiate something approaching the usual "West End" fees for my reimbursement. They also had funds to work with a high-league production manager, who has managed to pull their technical and stage-hands into some kind of submission, so the whole experience was much like working with any other pro company.

Provided the show dates don't clash, my best advice is that it's always good to have more than one on the books, if only so that you can work more venues and (if you're good enough to impress them) get more work that way.

Still - what do I know? I've been exceptionally lucky with the contacts I have so far, but I'm still relatively new to the pro theatre circuit and perhaps there's others here who know more about this scene than I.

Hi,

Thanks, I think I will start off with one amdram group to give me a taster of what its like but like you say one is totally different to another. As for the kit thing I know they hrie in form a good hire company with decent kit although I hate their rifle mics (die for no reason, twist them and they come back to life).

The guy from one amdram group is giving my details to other groups so I can get the best chance at getting as much experience as possible.

Thanks

Daniel

Try the hire company they use?

I myself was lucky with the local amdram group, they happen to own and operate their own 250 seat pros arch venue, so I was able to experience the running of a venue, along with design and setup of shows, with 6 or so shows a year, every six weeks with a summer break.

The trying a theatre is likely to be the best bet, some of the (not so hot) am-dram companies will rely on the theatre to provide a lighting design of some sort, using the theatre's own stock, possibly supplemented by hire but not often. Money is everything, they get the actors for free so why not anything else?

I spent 6 years or so involved there, and they were a very good place to find experience in the industry. Be careful though, not wanting to knock amdram, but often the groups that rent the local church hall, or community centre, or anywhere similar to that, will not be able to give you the experience you are looking for, and that is often the perception of amdram.

Daniel

You don't tell us what you want to do with the experience that you are looking to gain, or where you are in your life at the moment.

I would say:

If you want to go on to study an area of technical theatre then you are probably best to try for a combination of work at a venue and for a good am. company.

If you are hoping to find employment then go for theatres and hire companies.

if you want to have a good time pursuing an interest in theatre while earning your living in a 'proper' job then go down the purely am.dram.

Hi,

I am basically after a bit of both.

It would be great If I could get some pair work with a theatre and hire company but I'm also looking for experience in theatre at the moment just for fun as I haven't decided wether to go into theatre or not yet.

I am currently a yr 11 student in my last year studying for my GCSE's. if pair work is available I would be able towork through July and August 2005.

Thanks

Daniel

Archived