LED tungsten mix

StuartS

OK, so my use of the phrase 'dimmer curve' wasn't strictly correct, even though that's what Chauvet refer to it as. That particular setting on their units does actually mimic thermal inertia. Well, sort of - it puts a small amount of lag on fast intensity changes.

I'm not sure that's quite the same thing as thermal intertia though - I recall that when I've used ETC S4 LEDs, if you have them on and then snap them off from the desk either manually or in a cue, they snap "LED style" ie. absolutely instantly. The tungsten fade curve I think is just that - it is intended to simulate the classic S-shaped curve ie. the non linear change in light level of a tungsten lamp on a dimmer as you increase the fade linearly. I don't remember any inertia simulation, I definitely remember setting up seperate fade times for them in part cues.

Not true.

The curve options in a Source Four LED and Selador Desire do have significantly different thermal inertia/lag responses to level changes.

You probably had them set to "Quick", which has no lag.

Linear and Standard have some lag using two different curves

"Incandescent" has a curve and lag that simulates tungsten response and thermal inertia.

Incandescent

Exaggerated curve mimics the response of tungsten on a conventional dimmer.

Lag is quite pronounced and present even in full on or off bumps.

Extreme smoothness with no instant changes.

Best when fixtures must operate in sync with incandescent sources.

The complaint I normally get is "Why is it slow to snap off" - same thing, different desired setting.

The "Quick Setup" options also choose default LED settings like curve, redshift etc as well as DMX settings.

Archived