Reviews/thoughts about equipment

cameronaffleck

Hello

Just wondering if anyone would be willing (and able) to share your thoughts or opinions on these pieces of the following equipment..? Anything with relation to their cost, features, usability, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

LANTERNS:

Selecon Acclaim Fresnel

Selecon Acclaim Zoomspot

Selecon Pacific

Selecon HUI Flood

Source Four PAR

DIMMERS:

Zero 88 Alphapack 2

Zero 88 Betapack 3

Zero 88 Chilli Pro 2410i

CONTROL SURFACES:

Zero 88 Jester 12/24

Jands Vista S1

High End Road Hog 4

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated,

Cameron

Ummm... they are all good pro quality equipment... but there's a pretty wide range of complexity there - Jester to Hog 4 pretty much covers the whole console market from the most basic to the most complex, as does Alphapack to Chilli dimmers. Why are you asking?

Only two items to give my 2p's worth-

Selecon Pacifics, whenever I've used them I've always been disappointed with their output. I'm sure they were the higher wattage lamps (1200W is it?) and always prefer S4's. Anyone else have the same opinion or just me? I've experienced them touring UK venues last year and when I spec'd them on some gigs about 5 years ago.

Hog4's are cracking consoles and in my eyes will fit into any situation you put them in! They're my second ideal choice of console if I haven't got access to my number one.

:mods: Methinks Homework alert!

You are a cynic.

Just because he is a student at school doesn't necessary mean it's a homework question.

On the other hand, perhaps it is. :D

Cheers

Gerry

Caterham school has a particularly good and well stocked drama and theatre department, so it could well be.

I haven't used the selecons myself, but a conversation I had with the chief technician at Questors kind of put me off them a bit - he also reckoned they were a bit low on output, and questioned the quality of the lampholders in the pacific.

I haven't used the selecons myself, but a conversation I had with the chief technician at Questors kind of put me off them a bit - he also reckoned they were a bit low on output, and questioned the quality of the lampholders in the pacific.

I'm a longtime user of Acclaim Fs and they are pretty good, had problems with the cable wearing through at the exit from the lantern (touring use, lots of in-out of flight cases). Source 4 zooms are brighter than the Acclaim zooms but then the lamps are 100W more. Pacifics have the "cool gate" feature allowing use of OHP acetate for gobos, but you do lose some brightness. And they are a funny shape and won't fit in some FOH boxes.

It's all good quality equipment.

I'm personally a big fan of the Selecon Pacifics with there option of printing any image onto acetate and projecting it.

You can't go far wrong with Selecon or ETC.

Dimmers are all good.

I'm a great fan of the Jester- that's the desk I learnt on! However as timsabre said the Hog consoles and Jands Vista are in a different league to the Jester, so particularly in terms of console, it depends what it's needed for.

Edward

Archived