How many boundary mics does it take...?

missilsetti

My thoughts are even the best of boundary mics or hanging mics (something like the HM1000s and CK33s) are going to be a nightmare in that venue. You will be eq'ing them so hard to get decent gain with no ring that the sound quality will be terrible. I would either go with radios if the budget allowed or as Jivemaster says use sound reinforced backing tracks with pre recorded vocals. Preferably played back from something like qlab where you can have a multi track WAVex file and have the layers of vocals and backing tracks hit the desk on different channels to allow for balancing of the recordings in the venue. If you HAVE to use boundary mics, anything cheap will simply sound hollow so make sure you purchase decent mics or use the budget to hire instead.

I think it looks like a lovely space... so it's "advertised" as being suitable for lectures and music recitals - I'd guess a slightly lively acoustic from the hard surfaces is OK for chamber recitals, and the distributed system would sort out the speech reinforcement requirement for the lectures. Amplified music / singing would be a bit tricky...

However, Edinburgh (for example) is full of "totally unsuitable" lecture halls that become "great little venues" for the duration of the festival.... by the addition of staging, black drapes, a bit of truss, sound systems, some lights etc.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

There are black drapes available in the theatre and the second picture which has been posted is a bit different from reality as that's just a model of how it should have looked, not the actual one (so the gass window would not be a problem - it should have cover too).

I've never said the cast cannot project to 150 people, it's just that I thought that giving a little bit of help with the mics would have helped, I was not expecting miracles from boundary mics anyway.

Thanks again everyone!

Archived