WiFi Routers

numberwrong

Hi I want to buy a WiFi router for using remote control of lighting desks.

It has to be small ish to fit in my tool kit and not uber expensive (around £50??). It also has to have enough range for good sized venues but not arenas.

Was thinking about this

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/JNR3210.aspx

It says the aerials can be replaced with ones with higher gain.

What experience have others had with this sort of thing?

You don't want a router, you want a Wireless Access Point. Routers are designed to sit between the LAN and internet and don't always do what you'd expect when you try to use them just on LAN without the internet connection.

Some routers can be switched into Access Point mode, including that one, but there seem to be some doubts about how well it works

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=87594

A note about the little TP Link one. You may find you can't connect to it even through your network cable until you change an IP setting range in your computer. That tripped me up briefly when I got one. Other than that it works, but I'm not sure I'd trust it to be 100% secure and stable for a critical work situation.

A note about the little TP Link one. You may find you can't connect to it even through your network cable until you change an IP setting range in your computer. That tripped me up briefly when I got one. Other than that it works, but I'm not sure I'd trust it to be 100% secure and stable for a critical work situation.

A friend of mine used one to serve wifi for all 4 people in their house for a while, multiple PC's, phones, tablets and a PS3! Apparently it coped fine and far better than the Virgin superhub it replaced!

We have those 702s in our digital desk cases to serve the WIFI for the iPad control.

They are okay, and the range is good enough, but I wouldn't trust it beyond using for setting up / focussing etc as it does drop out.

As they are powered by 5V USB, it's poor practice but you can usually power them from the USB storage socket on the desk (if it has one).

And make sure the TP Link firmware is up to date. I use a larger TP Link modem here, and Avast did a quick network scan and announced it could get into the modem settings. I checked that I had set a password for the Admin access, but then discovered that it has two other user names and passwords which could allow the firmware to be upgraded by malware or a user, who could then get full access to the settings by loading another routers firmware backup. (available from hacker sites)

I decided that now was a good time to check the firmware was up to date, loaded and installed new firmware, went to change the settings for those alternative entry points and the new firmware had got rid of them. I think this may have been the reason for the new firmware release.

I may be stating the obvious here, but as someone who deals with a lot of entertainment networking, you'd be surprised at how often this gets missed:

Wifi, like all ethernet, is a two-way street. Range isn't just about the access point, its about the remote device as well. This is no different to any RF system.

Long story short: A good AP with an appropriate antenna placed in a good location will help a lot, but the remote device will almost certainly be the weak link. Especially if its an iPad...

Archived