QSC KSub Limiter Issue

Vin Trouble

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone can help. I am running a duo (2 vox, backing tracks and guitar) into a Yamaha MG82 CX compact mixer. From there, it's 1/4 inch TRS cables to a QSC KSub which feeds a pair of QSC K8's. I bought the sub privately and I'm wondering if I've been sold a lemon. The problem is the sub occasionally cuts out, as if the cutout circuit has been tripped. It can last from anything from 10 to 30 seconds, before coming back. I'm not driving the desk hard, and the tops are fine. The sub is set to around 8-9O'clock, and the tops around 12. Everything on the desk is green- no red - no distorted sounds anywhere. The volume isn't anywhere near loud, as I'm playing in smaller social clubs. I called QSC UK, and was told that they don't do out of warranty repairs, and I would need to sent the whole sub - not just the amp module - down to another company to have it looked at!! I'm wondering if there's anything I could do to check if the sub is faulty, or if I'm doing something wrong, and the best way to get it sorted. I'm up in Glasgow.Thanks.

1424099153[/url]' post='517399']

Are you using the LPF on the channels? Might it be the desk cutting everything below 100hz?

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I'm using it on the vocal channels, but not to the guitar or backing tracks.I should also mention I've just bought a Yamaha MGP12 mixer, so I'll give that a test in the setup to see if that makes a difference.

"Cut outs" like in "no sound at all" from the sub?

Did you also try this same setup with some (bass-heavy) music from the CD?

Oh, and the tops are routed through the sub, so - when the sub cuts out, the tops continue playing?

Just curious.

1424141010[/url]' post='517431']

"Cut outs" like in "no sound at all" from the sub?

Did you also try this same setup with some (bass-heavy) music from the CD?

Oh, and the tops are routed through the sub, so - when the sub cuts out, the tops continue playing?

Just curious.

Thanks for the reply. As I'm up on stage performing, it's difficult to say if there's any sound at all from the sub during the drop outs - if I had to say one way or the other, I'd say no sound at all. I'm going in to a rehearsal studio and will set the system up with CDs as well as my backing tracks, and try to replicate the fault - I usually find that most things only go wrong during gigs, though! The tops continue unaffected, during the dropouts.

• 2 weeks later...
1424119102[/url]' post='517428']
1424099153[/url]' post='517399']

Are you using the LPF on the channels? Might it be the desk cutting everything below 100hz?

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I'm using it on the vocal channels, but not to the guitar or backing tracks.I should also mention I've just bought a Yamaha MGP12 mixer, so I'll give that a test in the setup to see if that makes a difference.

Just to finish off this thread- I took the new desk along to a gig, to use it in place of the smaller Yamaha, and the sub never cut out all night. I might just have had a lucky night, but I'm thinking that maybe there's a fault in the LPF switch on the small desk channel strip, in that it might be occasionally engaging due to heat/oxidisation or wear? I could run another channel with the backing tracks to see if the fault shows up, but I think I'll just use the bigger desk if it all stays good. Thanks for the replies.

Archived