QTX FX1000 pump stuck on

Kevin Ross

Hi there fellow blueroom people. I recently purchased a QTX FX 1000 haze machine off eBay. It seemed to work fine when I was trying it out at home setting up the DMX address etc. However when I used it at a gig it worked fine for a few minutes then the pump stuck full on and it was just spitting out some haze but a lot of "unburnt " fluid.

The heater is working fine but the pump is now just stuck on full power as soon as you turn it on.

I have tried running it with just the remote (no DMX ) and also with no remote connected at all.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how to fix it.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Just to provide an update. I soldered in a replace triac and now everything is working well. When I was doing the work it looked like it already had been replaced once before. I will keep an eye on it but if it fails again does anyone have an idea what might cause two triacs to fail?

There are a few possibilities. The pumps are usually solenoid pumps that are quite inductive, so it could be a back EMF spike from the pump that is degrading the triac over time, although theoretically it should only be turning off at the mains zero crossing point. That would require a snubber network to be fitted across the triacs main terminals.

The other possibility is that the wiring harness is rubbed through somewhere and a momentary short circuit is occurring. That would make the triac fail too, but would also possibly be associated with a blown fuse.

Another possibility is that the triac may not be being driven properly. If the triac has been changed before it might not even be the correct triac.

Archived