Olympics Screens

smalljoshua

Hi all,

As I'm sure you're all aware of the number of large format outdoor LED screens that were built in the UK for the Olympics. These, from what I gather are all the same units in hardware and software.

I have a client who is putting content onto one of one of these screens and I've been tasked with integrating their hardware (to be permanently installed) into the existing racking.

I've had my first site visit today and whilst every component part of the system is easy enough to identify, I'm struggling to work out how it's all integrated. It's a Daktronics screen with VLINK4500 Processor and Venus 7000 control software on the computer. There is a quantity of other hardware in the rack too which I forgot to note down. I'm back there tomorrow to do further investigations but if anyone has a manual for the VLINK4500 or knows about the setup of these screens (they're all over the country after all) it would be much appreciated!

Ohh, and I was only asked about this today and the content needs to go out on Friday morning...

Cheers,

Josh

Its all on the daktronics website... having looked at this for one these now broken screens a good few years ago, from memory there is an auxilary input that may well have been cvbs, and it was as simple plug it in, switch inputs and away you go... The actuall content is manged by somepart of the BBC, and I believe that Acquis Media in Birmingham have had some recent dealings will delivering content to the network. If its not live content, doubtless just using the existing distribution channel would be easiest....

I may be being blind but the only reference to the VLINK (VIP) 4500 is in a guidance note for turning systems off/on. I'm looking at trying to put a DVI signal into the system.

There are a number of local sources already (2x Mac Mini, a DVD Player etc and I've found the CVBS input in the base of the screen but I'm looking for this to be part of a more permanent alteration in the AV rack itself as the client has a 3 year contract with the screen owner to display 24/7 video content.

Many Thanks

Josh

I may be being blind but the only reference to the VLINK (VIP) 4500 is in a guidance note for turning systems off/on. I'm looking at trying to put a DVI signal into the system.

Looking at the back of the unit in this eBay auction, there are two DVI inputs in the bottom left: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daktronics-V-Link-Vlink-VIP-4500-Ex-Cond-/141382108345

if you are delivering new content 24/7 from a thing youve not yet mentioned and are replacing the current sources, just unplug the unit thats currently playing content to the screen and plug in whatever you are using...

Are these part of the old BBC screen network installed for the Olympics? If so the BBC over complicated the racks and Daktronics absolutely hate dealing with them. We've had nothing but strife with our screen & rack.

I don't think BBC manage any of the screens any more & they've been handed over the the various LAs. Some are them managed internally, others are then part of screen networks or 3rd parties.

The main BBC content playback system is Audience TV in conjunction with the V7000 & v4500. Audience is very limited in what it can play & is pretty clunky.

I've got various PDFs here but not one for the 4500 unfortunately.

There are indeed part of the old BBC screen network. I can see the overcomplication from a mile off. Whilst there a a number of "nice" bits in there, most is poorly wired and badly done. The BBC have washed their hands completely of this one. You're exactly right about the content playout/control system I've got here. I'm back in there at 1pm today to have a more thorough examination of the space.

Do you have any "gotchas" that I may come across? The one here has still got a lot of the LOCOG programming and scheduling built in which I'm likely going to have to change.

The issue with going directly into the DVI port on the VLINK4500 is that it expects a specific resolution (which I can't find) and going direct doesn't give the desired results. As such, I'm looking to integrate into the existing before I rebuild it from scratch as the client doesn't want that expense.

Josh

Worth checking what BT contract details are as we've had major issues with the network (everything is networked together) after BT cut the connection.

If its the same screen here (Cardiff) then its low res but I haven't got exact specs.

I've got a PDF here on using & programming audience if thats any help? Its both clunky & quirky (we've currently got an mpeg it won't play when scheduled & we can't work out why - it plays fine manually but not when scheduled- aarrgrghhghhgh!"£!!?) but relatively straightforward when you get used to it. Audience uses lots of templates to switch inputs on the controller so if they're intact great, if not, see below

I've got the contact details of ex-BBC screen project manager who we use for tech support if you want any further input. They've been great in updating audience templates etc and trouble shooting.

I think Exeter, Bristol, Swindon, Swansea & a few others are part of the SW Regional Big Screen steering group so not sure if thats of use assuming the screen youre looking at is Plymouth

PM me if you want pdf & contact details

Hope Friday went well.

ADi support the 'livesite' screen that I work with and some others, but it's 2011 vintage Panasonic, not Daktronics (something to do with Panasonic's 2012 sponsorship kicking Daktronics out). Let me know if you need my ADi contact.

Outside below the screen there is an OB input box that doesn't get much use, but it allows video and audio input - you may be able to hijack this where it enters the rack to introduce a new hardware source. With ours there is also a PC separate from the main Player and Master PCs, known as "Games PC" that I use as a get out of jail free card when I need to display something that the main software won't handle.

2Bit, I share your Audience pain, clunky doesn't begin to describe the user interface! I was 'handed over to' by the BBC SOC team. I have Premiere/AME settings that export bulletproof mpegs for audience, but I have problems with videos freezing when in one 'magazine' and not another. And the source list priorities reordering overnight. I did get help from audience.tv in Canada who were familiar with the UK olympic screens setup.

On the plus side as well as our own screencam I seem to have control of the camera in Belfast.

I have a schematic showing the cabling and connection setup if its any help, not within the rack sadly but between the rack, screen, OB inputs and BBC studio.

Archived