Prolights studio cob

techiemactech

I've just purchased two of the RGB ones. (Well actually, had two on demo, and have now bought them instead)

Very good little light, for the price. In fact, I'm very impressed for the price.

Fades to zero nicely. Good colours. Compact size. No fan noise. Pretty sturdy.

The standard 60-deg beam is quite fluffy and wide (more like a flood), but still bright enough to be useful in the Studio theatre, maybe less so on a big stage.

The supplied 30-deg lens makes it more distinct, but don't expect a beam light. It's more like a soft-edged fresnel than a par, in some ways - but easily a par substitute for just blasting out colours.

Not tried the barn-doors yet.

I'm also looking forward to trying the Warm White version.

We have just bought 24x of them, went out on the first job last week. Nothing much to add to what PDD has said, apart from they are a little heavy. Powercon in and out is a big bonus if your daisy chaining a few together in a rig. We've done a liltle write up about why we went for these above anything else on our website you might find interesting.

http://www.congobluedesign.co.uk/2015/02/new-prolights-studio-cob-led-par/

The specs appear to say this uses a RGB cob. How well does it do shades of white, pastels and dark/congo blue?

Is there some sort of magic Cree mixing happening to allow the full colour range with just Red, Green and Blue LEDs or are there actually different shades/colours in the COB as well.

Hi thanks,

There are no lights that seam to be the same as this, for this price, with the same dimming capability etc.

the only other lights I can see are the ETC colour source 4, but these are mulitsource led output...

Did anyone look at these or know a compariable light

Many thanks

the only other lights I can see are the ETC colour source 4, but these are mulitsource led output...

Not sure what you mean, as the ETC ColorSource PAR does have a homogenous light output.

The RGB+Lime is fully mixed inside the fixture's optics, just like Source Four LED.

The native angles of the two are very different and I could find very little published data (no beam or field lumens, only lux @3m) on the Prolights unit, which makes it very hard to compare them on paper.

My guess would be that the two are a fairly similar brightness once lensed to the same beam angle, however the white from the ColorSource PAR will be much nicer due to the Lime.

Unfortunately the power consumed says very little about brightness - there are quite a lot of LED fixtures out there (including some well-known brands) which produce fewer lumens per fixture Watt than a tungsten-halogen Source Four.

The specs appear to say this uses a RGB cob. How well does it do shades of white, pastels and dark/congo blue?

Is there some sort of magic Cree mixing happening to allow the full colour range with just Red, Green and Blue LEDs or are there actually different shades/colours in the COB as well.

Just RGB - therefore, as expected, there is no white or pastels. But it's only about £250 per unit (prob cheaper for bulk discount). Can't complain. I'd buy the ETC if I could afford the same quantity :-)

Hi All,

As CongBlueCallum said it is ourselves here at AC who have the pleasure to supply the Prolights range, including the excellent StudioCOB. If any of you would like to take a look for yourselves and see just how good this fantastic fixture is please do not hesitate to drop me a line at neil.vann@ac-et.com so I can arrange to show you.

Tow - In terms of the spectral response of the CREE chip, you will be very pleasantly surprised at both the saturates and the pastels. As always, “the proof of the pudding is in the eating”, so if you drop me a line with your email address I would be delighted to arrange to bring one over to show you against a cyc so you can see for yourself….

Tomo – The optical system of the StudioCOB is rather different to that in the ColorSource, which is what I think TechieMacTech is referring to. The StudioCOB features a more traditional PAR optical system, with the COB source acting as a “filament” in conjunction with a parabolic reflector and different lenses. This makes it a really flexible little unit with a defined shadow, functional barndoors, a 60* standard beam angle, and either a 30*or 15* lens to be quickly fitted to the front (think swapping a bubble in a ParCan)….

I can honestly say that I have looked at a LOT of LED pars over the years, and the StudioCOB really does stand out.

Best regards,

Neil

Neil Vann

AC Entertainment Technologies

neil.vann@ac-et.com

• 3 weeks later...

Prolights studio cob review.

The little light that packs a BIGpunch.

We have just purchased a suite of 9 ofthese lights primarily for our annual dance show, to replace hiring in 18 1kcantata. At first I was a bit nervous about replacing 18 generic lightswith led light, would they be bright enough, would the coverage be okay, howwould they look when they were dimmed?

All I can say is I had no need toworry, installing the fixtures into the grid was a breeze by going for thehybrid cable and daisy chaining the fixtures together, and making use of thebarn doors to shut of the areas of spill we didn't want. The test thoughwould really come when we were going to be programming the fixtures and howthey worked.

The unit is well built and you are ableto buy different 'accessories' to enhance the product for your particularrequirements, such as barn doors, different degree lens.

We were operating the showon Jands Vista M1, (having used a Zero 88 for the last five years,and the Jands Vista software for about 5 weeks, my students who hadused the software for about 1 week, picked it up like a duck to water). Vista gave us fantastic control over the studio cob giving us anymixtures of colour we wanted, any strobing we may neededand crucially a fantastic dimming curve that fitted in withgeneric lights that were used. They put our old led par cans toshame highlighting the difference in the dimming curve.

These lights have been able to changethe dynamics of the show for us, by being able to select thedifferent colours to create more variety for the differentpieces, and are defiantly the way forward, and I shall be looking atpurchasing a minimum of 8 more, to enhance our facilities, and theshows that we produce.

We purchasedthe lights through AC Entertainment Technologies in High Wycombe, veryeasy and quick to deal with. AC Entertainment Technologies were very accommodatingand able to fulfil our requirements. My main contact was Alex Monro, butall of the people in the office are more than happy to help.

If anyone wants any more information orhas any question please ask!

Archived