Follow Spot protective gaunlet?

james3mc

For various reasons, our FS position means that the operator (usually me) is far lower in relation to the lamp than would be ideal, meaning that iris control often means reaching over the hot surface.

Does anyone know of any sort of gauntlet that is heat-proof that would offer fore-arm protection?

The hierarchy of controls would suggest that other measures, such as a box to stand on, or a shorter stand, should be considered before PPE.That aside, I've never got in with spotting in gloves, it seems to take away the feedback I need to keep the spot well controlled.

Indeed!

Also take a look at moving the iris control - it's often possible to put it on one side instead of on top.

(Obviously this means flipping it for any other-handed operators.)

It's always best to remove the need to reach awkwardly over the hot surface if you don't absolutely have to. Makes it easier to use as well.

On the one occasion I've follow spotted with a Super Trouper I was somewhat surprised to be shown "the right way" to hold the spot, sitting along side it and wrapping my left arm around the lamp house to reach the dimmer, shutter and iris, and holding the barrel by the zoom with my right arm. This felt very uncomfortable (a minor 'bike crash a few years ago has left me with a slightly stiff shoulder) so I modified this by standing at the side and operating the levers with the other arm. This avoided having to do what the other operators were doing, arranging layers of heat insulation on the lamp housing and working with one arm in a garment, to avoid being burnt. It just seemed so obviously wrong, but they seemed to just accept this was how things were done.

Lakeland do some long oven gauntlets but the standard motorsport marshalling fireproof gauntlets are designed for welders. Mind you, most of the people I know get them from DIY shops as leather gardening gauntlets as they are usually cheaper and amount to much the same thing.

Archived