Economic stage box for a small multicore

DanSteely

Hi,

I have acquired 18m of 24 way Kelsey multicore and am considering making a a multi using a Neutrik/Rean stagebox and tails at the FOH end.

http://www.rean-connectors.com/en/products/patch-and-stage-boxes/nsb2a-20-4

The internal connections are IDC type. Has anybody used these and if so how have they faired over time.

Many thanks.

Are the XLRs on that the plastic ones? If so, I'd say it's not going to be robust enough for stage use.

I don't know what "POM" is but it looks & sounds like plastic. Also, the females are non-latching - definitely not a good idea for stage use. There are quite a few all-metal ones around, with latching sockets & solder connections, which might suit you better.

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little dubious about the plastic XLR's but they come from Rean/Neutrik so I'm thinking they have to functional at least. The non latching is an issue, but they usually have a kind of in-build 'catch' which would resist them just falling out - say with gravity. I thought I've seen a similar trapezoid enclosure with normal D cut outs but can't find them now...

Nothing wrong with IDC connections - as long as you're using the right type of cable,

IDC is great for installations, but I wouldn't be happy using it for anything that has a rough life. You also need a proper IDC tool - anything else is likely to damage the slots, leading to dodgy contact.

The Studiospares ones don't look too bad and comes populated with XLR's (non-Neutrik of course) but at least the females latch. Also the SS one comes with one of those wire basket strain relief. which are pretty effective. No IDC connections here just a bit of soldering. The delivered price from SS is £65.88 which is similar to the Neutrik/Rean box.

BTW I was idly looking at putting a multipin for the tails end and was looking at the Syntax connectors from CLD. They come pre pinned so no tools required. The only problem is that a mated pair of 85 pin connectors comes to just under £200.00..... Perhaps I'll just do non detachable tails then...

Nothing wrong with IDC connections - as long as you're using the right type of cable,

IDC is great for installations, but I wouldn't be happy using it for anything that has a rough life. You also need a proper IDC tool - anything else is likely to damage the slots, leading to dodgy contact.

The IDC terminations as used on the Rean range, will be fine as they are not the Krone type, which require a punch-down tool and are really only suitable for installation. As long as the strain relief on the stage box is sound, and the cable type is right, then all should be ok.

The chassis connectors can take conductors between AWG 24 (0.22mm2) & AWG 26 (0.14mm2) - which is fine, but needs the ground connector to be a conductor, or at the very least heat shrunk sleeving the IDC spikes can pierce through. So if the multicore is suitable, I'd use it, if not, like said above, the Studiospares ones are pretty decent - I've got a couple that are 16 way, soldered connectors, and a gland - and I think I bough them in probably 98 or so? Been abused to hell, and apart from being a bit rust on the scratched areas, they've been very tough.

On the locking connector issue - I've removed the buttons from the females wherever I can, because the buttons break off and then getting plugs out is a real pain. I'm very happy with the friction the un-secure connectors offer, and I'd rather pull a plug out when somebody trips, than have the cable rip out of the connector.

Hi Paul and others. The drain/earth wires on each multi core is indeed unsheathed and would need heat shrink or some silicon sheathing to make the IDC work properly.

But I think I've decided to go for the SS one, I'll need to swap the jack sockets for XLR's but that's not an issue.

The Penn Elcom one is for my needs very deep, to allow fitting of a 150 pin Veam to the box. Also populating it myself will be much more expensive than the SS version - even with cheap CPC XLR's. One thing I considered was to get a 2U 24 hole panel and make an enclosure from some birch ply. Another though with this was to get 2x 24 hole panels and have dual sex at the stage end - allowing simple splits for monitors, recording, etc. Again, it was a thought, but over the top for what I'll need it for.

Archived