Headphones/Headphone Impedance

Bazz339

I am contemplating getting some new headphones.

Currently I have Beyer DT 100 400 Ohm, I am considering getting some Sennheiser DT25 iis . What impedance do others buy?

I want them for desk and recording monitoring and domestic use, TV music from phone, tablet etc.

What would be the disadvantage of 70ohm phones which I suspect are more what phone etc. expect to see?

What other headphones should I should look at in the same price range?

I want something easily stowable and not too large with reasonable but not complete isolation.

Some people say that the higher impedance headphones sound better but I have never found this to be true in practical terms, a lower impedance headphone will sound louder but if you are planning on using several sets at the same time a higher impedance set will spread the load so to say.

The HD25-2 are good and I have two pairs for recording but I find that the sony 7506 or MDR V6 are more comfortable and are lower cost for general purpose use. I also have several sets of the MDR V300 for giving to other people as courtesy monitoring.

All my headphones are 50-80 ohm and I find that a good range for use with various devices inc I-fones etc.

Most consumer headphone amps are designed for headphones 8-32 ohms. On battery devices which have limited power supply voltage, it's hard for the device to get much audio power into the phones.

Pro mixers tend to have at least +/-15v power which enables them to drive much higher impedance phones.

I have hd25 70 ohm and not come across anything that can't drive them pefectly..dj mixer, hifi, PC, 80's stereo, in a nightclub on a DJ mixer they will go so loud you can feel them moving to the bass beat.

My mate used to DJ with DT100 400 ohm versions and he was constantly struggling to drive them with any amount of volume even when using a DJ mixer with pretty high HP output.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived