Audio cue software options

gotty

I'm on a Win7 64 bit machine with 16 meg of RAM.

Worth saying I used to be a big fan of Multiplay in my XP days but ran into a few problems when I moved to Win7 (and not just MP3 which I never use) so I moved to SCS at that point because it was the closest in functionality that I could find. So far I'm not sorry.

I use an old BBC developed playback system called Cool Play on a windows XP machine - allows you to make and save playlists and play sequentially or segue tracks - works with .wav and mpegs. It's a freebie and was still in development up to 2012 so it may play on win7 - or you could always try it in compatibility mode. http://www.matti.co.uk/coolplay/ If it works on win7 let me know - I went Mac but I've got XP on bootcamp.

How do you mean you're not sure it's the answer? Are you still getting delays? If so, it would point to a problem elsewhere, I think.

There is still a short latency between hitting the button and the cue starting, but it's very much less. However, it seems a little variable (this is on separate XP, Win7 and Win8 systems - the last two each running 6-core CPUs,3.4GHz, with 64Gbyte RAM).There's no noticeable latency with other audio apps - Audition for instance, plays instantly on key-press.

However, there's still a brief "lock out" after one cue starts before you can start the next cue - so rapid-fire cues are proving tricky (although assigning them to hot-keys will provide a workaround).

I'm certainly not ruling it out - and the main reason I say I'm not sure it's the answer is that I simply haven't evaluated it properly yet. In particular, the cost/benefit needs looking at carefully. We currently have 3 users (potentially 5), and would probably need the Professional version, so it would be a significant sum out of my own pocket.

I use an old BBC developed playback system called Cool Play on a windows XP machine - allows you to make and save playlists and play sequentially or segue tracks - works with .wav and mpegs. It's a freebie and was still in development up to 2012 so it may play on win7 - or you could always try it in compatibility mode. http://www.matti.co.uk/coolplay/ If it works on win7 let me know - I went Mac but I've got XP on bootcamp.

Interesting - I didn't know Cool Play was around and available. I remember it quite well :-)

How do you mean you're not sure it's the answer? Are you still getting delays? If so, it would point to a problem elsewhere, I think.

There is still a short latency between hitting the button and the cue starting, but it's very much less. However, it seems a little variable (this is on separate XP, Win7 and Win8 systems - the last two each running 6-core CPUs,3.4GHz, with 64Gbyte RAM).There's no noticeable latency with other audio apps - Audition for instance, plays instantly on key-press.

However, there's still a brief "lock out" after one cue starts before you can start the next cue - so rapid-fire cues are proving tricky (although assigning them to hot-keys will provide a workaround).

I'm certainly not ruling it out - and the main reason I say I'm not sure it's the answer is that I simply haven't evaluated it properly yet. In particular, the cost/benefit needs looking at carefully. We currently have 3 users (potentially 5), and would probably need the Professional version, so it would be a significant sum out of my own pocket.

There is a function in Multiplay to lock out multiple GO presses. It's somewhere in the settings. Try reducing this time to zero and see if you still have the same problem.

Edit: It's in File, General Configuration

http://i58.tinypic.com/118dq9d.png

There is a function in Multiplay to lock out multiple GO presses. It's somewhere in the settings. Try reducing this time to zero and see if you still have the same problem.

Ooh!! Thanks. I've been using MultiPlay for some time now, and never knew that was there!

Seems it's also an option in Show Cue System.

Archived