D&B Y Series

ghance

Heard the very impressive D&B Y series this afternoon. One of the moments your eyes don't believe your ears.

Very skinny width will make it a darling in corporate & theatre settings, but it's beautifully musical. Got that hi-fi clairity & low mid warmth of its big sister V series.

Twin 8" dipole & a sweet sounding compression driver arrangement. Über smooth consistent coverage. Surprisingly loud out front & even more surprisingly quiet round back.

Let's hope Santa Claus thinks I've been a good boy this year

Many thanks to Wigwam/SSE for arranging demo. D&B Steve / Em - thanks for excellent presentation.

Hi Azian. Yes no worries, I will do that.

Well I have a gig coming up for a prog rock band called The Prognosis and I am going to mix it in Quad using Y7 and Y10.

I will use our V-Subs with it and I may pop in a Jsub in infra for the bass pedal madness if there is room left on the van ;-)

I have not used our Y yet. It looks small! It is significantly smaller than Q and lighter. This is I guess why you get for dropping from 10's to 8's.

Its is 3dB down on Q in terns of SPL_Max

Here I am comparing the numbers of Q7 (138 dB on a D12) to Y7 (135 on a D12).

Surprisingly the LF specs look similar (down to 60Hz) ... and I would run them in CUT mode anyway.

I am guessing (and I really am guessing)... remember the old C6 (or C690)... that was around 133dB SPL_Max.

Maybe Y is going to sound half way between that and Q for headroom and poke.

I'm not very good with PM's in blue room so its best to email me mark@sflgroup.co.uk

xx

M

Am I right in thinking that it is a replacement for q series in terms of size/output?

Mark, any chance you could PM me a dry hire rate card for then (if youn have one yet!)

Am I right in thinking that it is a replacement for q series in terms of size/output?

Reading between the lines, I concluded that and would wager on Q being discontinued next year. I may be wrong, however J,V,Y & T seem to be a 'generation complete' family, essentially making Q redundant. V is now widely seen as the baby brother to J, where Q was formally used on these type of fills. Y covers all the smaller stuff, where V would be excessive. We'll see, just my 2p.

One of the moments your eyes don't believe your ears.

Never so much so as when the company I subsequently worked for got their first E3s. One of the engineers was not convinced by the d&b available then and believed Meyer was stll the future. The E3s arrived whilst he was out on a gig so they set one up on the test bench - but sneakily also ran a feed to a hidden USW and amp.

There are few things that generate quite as pure a joy as seeing a highly intelligent, analytical engineer struggling to process something his brain says simply isn't possible, yet his senses cannot deny... :rolleyes:

Archived